Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by ni...@digitalesp.com on 2001/03/05 21:53:25 UTC

A definitive answer on Encoding Styles??

I have seen multiple posting referring to the best approach for encoding
XML content within SOAP payloads, but still not sure if one is better than
the other.

If I understand this right, if I use SOAP Encoding (which I understand to
be the default when one isn't specified) when  passing a string parameter
representing some XML content , all slashes etc will be escaped before
being sent. I understand that this could be expensive depending on the size
of the document. If on the other hand I use Literal XML encoding, I am
serializing the constructed DOM. But Serializing large object graphs isn't
cheap either.

So question is, when do I want to use SOAP encoding and when do I want to
use Literal XML encoding? Is there a definitive answer to this question?

Thanks

Keith