Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/02 05:14:52 UTC

BUG: Apache DS does not work on Windows XP (most likely other forms of windows too)

I've been running into this bug for a while, and it
looks like an issue with nio on windows.  Here's the
problem:

C:\Documents and
Settings\mboorshtei002\Desktop\downloads\apacheds-0.8>java
-jar
 apacheds-main-0.8.jar
server: using default properties ...
org.apache.ldap.common.exception.LdapConfigurationException:
Failed to initializ
e the frontend subsystem! [Root exception is
java.io.IOException: Unable to esta
blish loopback connection]
        at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.startUpWireProtocol(
ServerContextFactory.java:557)
        at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.getInitialContext(Se
rverContextFactory.java:228)
        at
javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(Unknown
Source)
        at
javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(Unknown
Source)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.init(Unknown
Source)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
javax.naming.directory.InitialDirContext.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.ldap.server.ServerMain.main(ServerMain.java:86)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to establish
loopback connection
        at sun.nio.ch.PipeImpl$Initializer.run(Unknown
Source)
        at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.PipeImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
sun.nio.ch.SelectorProviderImpl.openPipe(Unknown
Source)
        at java.nio.channels.Pipe.open(Unknown Source)
        at
sun.nio.ch.WindowsSelectorImpl.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
sun.nio.ch.WindowsSelectorProvider.openSelector(Unknown
Source)
        at java.nio.channels.Selector.open(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.apseda.listener.TCPListenerManager.<init>(TCPListenerManag
er.java:88)
        at
org.apache.apseda.DefaultFrontendFactory.createTCPListenerManager(Def
aultFrontendFactory.java:185)
        at
org.apache.apseda.DefaultFrontendFactory.create(DefaultFrontendFactor
y.java:83)
        at
org.apache.ldap.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.startUpWireProtocol(
ServerContextFactory.java:552)
        ... 7 more
Caused by: java.io.IOException: An existing connection
was forcibly closed by th
e remote host
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native
Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(Unknown
Source)
        at
sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(Unknown Source)
        at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(Unknown
Source)
        ... 19 more
server: started in 1092 milliseconds

I get similar erros when trying to run "maven
multiproject:install" from subversion.  It doesn't
appear to be firewall related and there are several
threads on the issue without a lot of resolution.  I
am still reading though them.  I've got no experience
with NIO, so I am affraid I will not be of much help
fix this issue.  here's my java -version:
java version "1.4.2_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
(build 1.4.2_03-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_03-b02, mixed
mode)

Here's the current thread I'm reading through:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=459338&start=60

Marc Boorshtein

Re: BUG: Apache DS does not work on Windows XP (most likely other forms of windows too)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: BUG: Apache DS does not work on Windows XP (most likely other forms of windows too)

Posted by Chris Betts <ch...@pegacat.com>.
My 2c - I'm still unable to *build* on windows XP, due to the test
failing, but I can *run* on XP fine using 0.9 jar files downloaded
directly from the apache site...

   - Chris

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Marc Boorshtein wrote:
> I've been running into this bug for a while, and it
> looks like an issue with nio on windows.  Here's the
> problem:
>
> C:\Documents and
> Settings\mboorshtei002\Desktop\downloads\apacheds-0.8>java
> -jar
>  apacheds-main-0.8.jar
> server: using default properties ...
> org.apache.ldap.common.exception.LdapConfigurationException:
> Failed to initializ
> e the frontend subsystem! [Root exception is
> java.io.IOException: Unable to esta
> blish loopback connection]

Question:  are you running plain XP or with service packs applied?  The
Subversion folks found that the plain XP has issues in the networking
code that causes things to get jumbled in transit--but that bug was
fixed in the first service pack.

"Verbal profession minus moral persistance is self deception."

     Alistair Begg