Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Bernd Fondermann <bf...@brainlounge.de> on 2008/05/15 08:31:37 UTC

Re: Wrote the Install Utility

Moving this thread over from user to dev list.

Athar Shiraz Siddiqui wrote:
> I did subscribe to the dev list and I emailed Stefano individually. I
> thought someone would be excited about this and email me back.
>

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Bernd Fondermann
> <bf...@brainlounge.de> wrote:
>> Shiraz,
>>
>> Your email didn't reach the list, probably is stuck in moderation. Mails go
>> easily through when you are sending from the actual mail account which you
>> have subscribed to the list.
>
> Well I was able to send the email to the dev list before.  Did someone
> unsubscribe me. I just started with this list and I said a few days
> ago that I was going to pick up the task of writing the windows
> install utility.

Please check again if you are properly subscribe or try again to subscribe.

>> Every contribution is welcome, especially the first one from a new
>> contributor. :-)
>
> Thanks! I have always found all my fellow beings quite helpful be it a
> procmail list or some java related list.
>
>> Before every successful contribution, there is some learning how to
>> contribute in the right way. That means, getting to know how all the people
>> who are contributing to Apache projects do it.
>> For example, see http://james.apache.org/contribute.html , but be sure to
>> study some more reading stuff around James and Apache, which you'd easily
>> find on our website.
>
> Ok I was trying to avoid that but will get on it ASAP.

There is no way around it. Please try to adopt our way of working together!

>> After that, I am sure you are aware of our open source philosophy, that
>> everything is about working together and writing source code.
>> That means sharing the actual code.
>
> Absolutely. The only thing is that I am using a setup utility that
> builds this executable. I can provide the project file for it if you
> wish but a special setup utility may need to be used to read the
> script.

This is not a good idea. Being an open source project, everybody must be
able to maintain the setup, without buying any software or working on a
specific OS.

> If that is unworkable I can begin with the VC++ version of it ASAP.

I think it is a better idea to work with a Java based installer. see
    http://java-source.net/open-source/installer-generators
for some.

>> Please note also that the right mailing list for development is not this
>>  list, since it is reserved for user questions. Please move the discussion
>> over to the server-dev mailing list.
>
> Done

Didn't work. I moved the thread over.
Please don't cross-post to more than one list.
Please make sure you are properly subscribed to server-dev.

>> What technology did you use to write the Windows Installer?
>
> setupbuilder

where do I find that?
is that an open source tool? does it require a license fee?

   Bernd