Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by jj-ml <jj...@fingerprint.fr> on 2005/05/24 18:10:08 UTC

whitelist a certain adress

Hello,

Some of the mail from the spamassassin mailing-list are consider as spam.
I put in my rule : whitelist_to *@spamassassin.apache.org
But it seems it's not working.

As everybody in that list must have the same problem than me, can anyone
gives me a hint ??

Thank a lot,
Julien

Re: whitelist a certain adress

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> It's obsiouly not a pb but how can i white-list specific adresses with per
> users setting.
>
> ex: for users1, i want to white list *@truc.com but not for users2.
> I already put in mysql: whitelist_to *@truc.com for users1
> but that doesn't for as MATT said earlier, "Unfortunately this doesn't
work
> for messages bcc'ed to the" users1.
>
> How do you do the trick?
> Can i put your rules directly in the DB?

I don't konw the answer to that question, though I'm sure someone else does.
In any case, ther eis (I believe) a slight difference between 'rules" and
"configuration settings", and the latter you can in some way have per user.
This would include whitelist_from and whitelist_from_received, which are
what you would normally use to whitelist mail.  The rule I gave yesterday
was a simewhat special case for the SA mailing list, where the from/to
addresses are not always reliable indicators.

I think having the whitelist_(from|to) lines per user will *usually* work.
The exception is when a single message is sent to multiple recipients at
your site.  Generally the message will only be processed once in most
setups.  Which means that only one user's whitelist/blacklist rules will be
applied to the message.

        Loren

RE: whitelist a certain adress

Posted by jj-ml <jj...@fingerprint.fr>.
Hi Loren,

I put your rule in my local.cf file and it's working great.
As i run spamassassin on qmail/maildrop with mysql per users setting and
that i put it in the global conf, everybody white-list the SA list.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Some of the mail from the spamassassin mailing-list are consider as spam.
> I put in my rule : whitelist_to *@spamassassin.apache.org
> But it seems it's not working.
>
> As everybody in that list must have the same problem than me, can anyone
> gives me a hint ??

I just posted a reply to basically this quesiton last night.  The problem is
that the list address will not always show up in the To header, so your rule
will not always fire.

Check the archives for yesterday or early this morning, and you will find my
post with a rule that checks the List-Id header, which is reliable.

        Loren

Re: whitelist a certain adress

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Bill Landry wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "jj-ml" <jj...@fingerprint.fr>
>
>> Some of the mail from the spamassassin mailing-list are consider as spam.
>> I put in my rule : whitelist_to *@spamassassin.apache.org
>> But it seems it's not working.
>

> Well, "whitelist_to" will whitelist anything going to any address
> @spamassassin.apache.org.  You would want to use "whitelist_from" instead.

No you don't. In general you want whitelist_to. Unfortunately this doesn't work
for messages bcc'ed to the list. It also won't work for posts that are still
sent to spamassassin@incubator.apache.org.

However, generally speaking that should work, although whitelist_to is a bit on
the weak side. You might want to use all_spam_to instead of whitelist_to.

>> As everybody in that list must have the same problem than me, can anyone
>> gives me a hint ??
>

> Sure, for a better/safer option than "whitelist_from", try:
>
> whitelist_from_rcvd     *@spamassassin.apache.org       apache.org
>
> This will confirm the sender address includes "@spamassassin.apache.org"
> and that the RDNS of the sending IP address also contains "apache.org".

Agreed, but the list isn't the message sender. It's the message recipient and
resender (in the envelope)

Your whitelist_from_rcvd rule probably works for you because the Return-Path:
header is used as a From in some cases, but this won't work for in setups where

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Bill Landry" <bi...@pointshare.com>

He probably also needs to tell Bayes to ignore things from apache.org.
Of course, if he is running procmail it's easy to bypass at that level.

The simple form within a .procmailrc file is:
===8<---
:0 fw: spamassassin.lock
* < 250000
| /usr/bin/spamc -t 150 -u xxx

===8<---

{^_^}

Re: whitelist a certain adress

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
> Some of the mail from the spamassassin mailing-list are consider as spam.
> I put in my rule : whitelist_to *@spamassassin.apache.org
> But it seems it's not working.

Well, "whitelist_to" will whitelist anything going to any address
@spamassassin.apache.org.  You would want to use "whitelist_from" instead.

> As everybody in that list must have the same problem than me, can anyone
> gives me a hint ??

Sure, for a better/safer option than "whitelist_from", try:

whitelist_from_rcvd     *@spamassassin.apache.org       apache.org

This will confirm the sender address includes "@spamassassin.apache.org" and
that the RDNS of the sending IP address also contains "apache.org".

Bill