Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by peng-yongsheng <pe...@apache.org> on 2018/07/25 14:34:41 UTC

Help wanted about the license of the theme for building SkyWalking's website.

Hello Incubator PMC’ers,

I purchased a WordPress theme from the site of https://themeforest.net, and
this theme's license is a regular license.

This license description is:
1. You are licensed to use the Item to create one single End Product for
yourself or for one client (a “single application”), and the End Product
can be distributed for Free.
2. You can create one End Product for a client, and you can transfer that
single End Product to your client for any fee. This license is then
transferred to your client.

And the ThemeForest say something can't do with the theme:
1. You can’t Sell the End Product, except to one client. (If you or your
client want to Sell the End Product, you will need the Extended License.)
2. You can’t re-distribute the Item as stock, in a tool or template, or
with source files. You can’t do this with an Item either on its own or
bundled with other items, and even if you modify the Item. You can’t
re-distribute or make available the Item as-is or with superficial
modifications. These things are not allowed even if the re-distribution is
for Free
3. You can’t use the Item in any application allowing an end user to
customise a digital or physical product to their specific needs, such as an
“on demand”, “made to order” or “build it yourself” application. You can
use the Item in this way only if you purchase a separate license for each
final product incorporating the Item that is created using the application.
4. Although you can modify the Item and therefore delete unwanted
components before creating your single End Product, you can’t extract and
use a single component of an Item on a stand-alone basis.

The detail of regular license:
https://themeforest.net/licenses/terms/regular/2.2%20(Copy)

*Can we use this theme for building SkyWalking's website?*

*The attachment is the authorization file of the theme.*

Re: Help wanted about the license of the theme for building SkyWalking's website.

Posted by Yongsheng Peng <pe...@apache.org>.
Link: https://themeforest.net/item/softa-software-wordpress-theme/20868500

> That seems to say that you couldn't put the theme files in a public SVN
> repository, which means... other project committers couldn't build the
> website.
Yes, I have the same understanding.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.