Posted to user@hive.apache.org by David Salgado <da...@digitalronin.com> on 2009/11/12 16:12:50 UTC

Very basic (and almost certainly flawed) introduction to Hive on Amazon Elastic Map Reduce

Hi all

I've just started looking into Hive, and working my way through some
of the tutorials out there (notably the one from Cloudera, which I
found really helpful).

I think I'm going to want to use Hive with Amazon EMR for my 'real'
work, so I've been trying to replicate some of the steps in the
tutorial using Amazon EMR.

I ran into a few gotchas, and didn't find a lot of information on
their site, so I've blogged a very basic article on how to get started
from scratch (more or less). Hopefully, it will help other people in a
similar position.

http://roninonrails.blogspot.com/2009/11/introduction-to-hive-on-amazon-elastic.html

I'm sure I've made lots of factual errors, so any constructive
feedback would be most welcome. Also, if anyone knows of other newbie
tutorials for Hive, whether on Amazon EMR or not, please let me know.

David

Re: Very basic (and almost certainly flawed) introduction to Hive on Amazon Elastic Map Reduce

Posted by Chris Bates <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hey David,

Thanks for contributing.  Pete Skomoroch also does a lot of great work with
Hadoop on Amazon Web Services.  You can check out his great tutorials at
DataWrangling.com and the Git repository for TrendingTopics.org.  The more
we get people to blog about these tools the better!  Hopefully I'll be
posting sometime soon as well.

Have a good weekend
Chris