Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bob Carpenter <bo...@engineer.com> on 2004/10/16 19:09:51 UTC

Best way to learn SVG?

I've been playing around, casually, with SVG and Batik for about six months
now. I've done things like work through the Batik Demos and have used the
Batik library with my app to view basic SVG files.

I need to learn much more now because it's becoming central to the way my
app works. My app has a strong GIS dependence - using maps to navigate to
content. Layering is a major feature of the app, it has a variety of image
icons that you drop from a palette and place on a specific layer - you can
turn individual layers ON or OFF. My app currently handles layering through
a mechanism I built based upon the JLayeredPane. But I'm seeing things at
some sites with SVG content that seems to imply that SVG files have an
inherent layering capability. For example, the GIS demo at this site:

http://www.gis-news.de/svg/samples/archeology/x02.htm

shows layers control. Is that something that the WebMap viewer does on it's
own by parsing the SVG XML, or does every SVG file contain layering
information that a viewer can tap into and manipulate?

I'd appreciate some reference material that you find useful. A google turns
up thousands of hits, and many of them seem interesting, but I'd like to
focus on the best way to learn SVG fundamentals.

Thanks,

--BobC
  Seattle

Re: Best way to learn SVG?

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>.
Tonny Kohar wrote:
> I think you could simulate layer on SVG using <g> element with
> visibility attribute.

Yes, this works great. Nodes are rendered in order, so where the
<g> appears in the document determines what "layer" it's in.

Also, switching the "visibility" attribute is a lot faster than
e.g., adding and removing the entire node.

-Archie

Re: Best way to learn SVG?

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

I think you could simulate layer on SVG using <g> element with
visibility attribute.

Regards
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa
SVG Graphics Editor

Re: Best way to learn SVG?

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Bob,

Bob Carpenter wrote:

> I'd appreciate some reference material that you find useful. A google turns
> up thousands of hits, and many of them seem interesting, but I'd like to
> focus on the best way to learn SVG fundamentals.

    Others have answered the question on layering.  I've often heard
people recommend the book 'SVG Unleashed' although I personally have
never read it. I personally learned it mostly from the SVG
specification (has the advantage of being the primary source and
free - although it often doesn't give the implication of a feature).
Also looking at examples is a really good way to learn things.