Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/08/19 16:07:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] [VOTE] Release Apache IoTDB 0.10.1

I wouldn't say they have to be there ...

but I personally do like projects that have them there: A README as well as a RELEASE_NOTES.

Chris

Am 19.08.20, 16:17 schrieb "Xiangdong Huang" <sa...@gmail.com>:

    Hi,

    > I just have a quick question about the README files. Why do we put them
    into the release directory?

    Thanks, Willem. Yes, you are right, we do not need to put the README files
    to the SVN
    (But they still need to be included in our source-release files)...

    We will fix our release process to remove the README files out of the SVN.

    Now we get two votes from IPMCs. Look forward to at least one more votes
    from IPMCs for this release. :D

    Best,
    -----------------------------------
    Xiangdong Huang
    School of Software, Tsinghua University

     黄向东
    清华大学 软件学院

    Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com> 于2020年8月19日周三 上午7:56写道:

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Release Apache IoTDB 0.10.1

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> It not a requirement but many project do it so they can link to it from
their download page.

Yes, and I in favor of this view.

Best,
-----------------------------------

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2020年8月20日周四 上午10:22写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I checked many projects on [1], few projects put the readme file
> separated with the source-release file.

It not a requirement but many project do it so they can link to it from their download page. People often want to look at the README before downloading and installing the software.

Thanks,
justin

Re: [DISCUSS] [VOTE] Release Apache IoTDB 0.10.1

Posted by Xiangdong Huang <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I checked many projects on [1], few projects put the readme file
separated with the source-release file.
I think the Apache release guideline does not require that.

I agree that an easy-touched README file helps the community
(especially who are not familiar with the project) knowing the project
and know what is new (by reading release_note file) and begin to check the
release.

So, it should be optional, I think.
(Actually IMO, I think uploading the file to [1] when release is a better
choice.)

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator

Best,

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> 于2020年8月20日周四 上午12:07写道: