Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Preuss, Jacqueline - ENCOWAY" <Pr...@encoway.de> on 2007/09/24 09:51:23 UTC

Tomcat, IIS and Authentication

Hi all!

We have an application (hosted with Tomcat) which has to "communicate"
with the .NET world, i.e. our web application is integrated in an
Asp.Net application hosted by an IIS. So, to connect both we have an
Asp.Net Connector on the one side and a Java Connector on the other
side. If the user selects something on our application the JavaConnector
is called which creates an URLConnection to a specific Asp.Net site. At
the moment, the URLConnection is established with an empty username and
password because we created a specific IIS user which is always the same
for every request. Now, we want to use the integrated windows
authentication, i.e. we want to know which user is currently asking.
That's why we thought on NTLM authentication or something like that...
But we didn't know how to get the credentials in the Java Connector to
establish the connection with Asp.Net. What can we do? Is it generally
possible to use the integrated windows authentication in Java with IIS
and Tomcat? How? Can you give me some tips?

Regards,

Jacqueline.

AW: Tomcat, IIS and Authentication

Posted by "Preuss, Jacqueline - ENCOWAY" <Pr...@encoway.de>.
Hi!

Actually, I want it to work the other way round, i.e. we don't have a java application login page because the user is authenticated via the .Net application (-> via IIS and integrated windows authentication). We integrated our java application to that windows (Asp.Net) application. If the user saves something on our page f.ex., we call an Asp.Net site for that we need the username / password for IIS. But we didn't know how to retrieve those information on java side. What we tried was the NTLM filter for Tomcat which seems to authenticate, but how can we establish an URLConnection to IIS with the right credentials:

|   Java    | 	----Request----> 	|  Java   |   ----URL Connection----> 	| Asp.Net | ----authenticate----> IIS
|Application|		        	|Connector|		Problem: How to 	     	|Connector|
|-----------|                   	|---------|		get credentials?		|---------|	<--------------retrieve infos ----- WebService

It's getting clearer now :-/ ?

Posted by Gabe Wong <ga...@ngasi.com>.
Jacqueline,