Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com> on 2006/09/04 01:54:18 UTC

not allowed in settings.xml

Hi,

I noticed that it is not possible to define the distribution management
inside the settings.xml.

In my case the distribution management configuration is the same for all
projects and so far I had it defined within a parent pom.  Since
distribution management configuration is only relevant for developers
who actually can write to a repository, I thought it would be cleaner to
define that in the individual settings.xml, which to my surprise was not
possible.

Is there a reason why this cannot be used in the settings.xml or is this
something that could contribute to the improvement of Maven?

Andreas

Re: not allowed in settings.xml

Posted by Tomasz Pik <to...@gmail.com>.
On 9/4/06, Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that it is not possible to define the distribution management
> inside the settings.xml.
>
> In my case the distribution management configuration is the same for all
> projects and so far I had it defined within a parent pom.  Since
> distribution management configuration is only relevant for developers
> who actually can write to a repository, I thought it would be cleaner to
> define that in the individual settings.xml, which to my surprise was not
> possible.
>
> Is there a reason why this cannot be used in the settings.xml or is this
> something that could contribute to the improvement of Maven?

Vote here: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2553
I also thing that make some things to be configurable through settings.xml
(distributionManagement, plugins) will solve many problems.

Regards,
Tomek

Re: not allowed in settings.xml

Posted by Doug Douglass <do...@gmail.com>.
Another use case for allowing dependencyManagement in (a profile in)
settings.xml that I ran into recently is overriding POM remote URLs (e.g.,
scp) with local ones (e.g., file) for use on a CI server that also houses
corporate maven repositories and generated sites. BTW, this cut deploy goal
build times in half.

Posted by Andreas Guther <An...@markettools.com>.
Interestingly the same seems to count for the reporting section.
Defining the profile with reporting within a pom works fine, but then
copying the exact configuration from the pom to the settings.xml ends
with an error message of maven:

C:\workspace\mt-pom-trunk\master>mvn deploy
Error reading settings.xml: Unrecognised tag: 'reporting' (position:
START_TAG seen ...</id>\r\n      <reporting>... @7:18)
  Line:   7
  Column: 18

For a configuration like this:

<profiles>

      <profile>
      <id>markettools.reporting</id>
      <reporting>
        <plugins>

Is this a bug in the component that reads from the settings.xml or what
might be the reason here for this unexpected behavior?

The "Better Builds with Maven" book (version 1.0.1) reads on page 63
that those elements (reporting and distributionManamgenet) amongst other
can be defined in either a settings.xml, a profiles.xml, or the pom.xml
itself.

Andreas