Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2003/03/27 10:28:13 UTC

Re: samples.xml absolute path to relative path?

On 27.Mar.2003 -- 09:58 AM, David Crossley wrote:
> Christian Haul wrote:
> > David,
> > I have just discovered that you have changed absolute paths in samples.xml
> > files to relative paths (around 2003-03-20). The simple-samples2html.xsl
> > stylesheet should prepend $contextPath to all relative paths. $contextPath
> > should be set by the invoking sitemap.xmap using the request input module.
> >
> > This way samples can easily be moved to a different hierarchy depth
> > while being independent from the deploy context path and without affecting
> > cachability. At least at one point it was working both with the included
> > jetty and deploying the war in tomcat 4.1.18 which use different context
> > paths.
> >
> > Apparently, there has been an issue with this otherwise you wouldn't have
> > changed it. Could you give me a hint on the issues?
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> (I think stuff like this should be discussed on-list.)

OK, CC'ing cocoon-dev

> I mistakenly thought that there would be an issue with
> different servlet engines. I did not realise that it was
> being so cleverly handled with this $contextPath thingy.
>
> I also noticed that some samples were using relative paths
> to get to the docs whereas others were using absolute
> paths. That was very confusing.

I thought to have converted all back then. But it's a moving target ;-)

> You say above "should prepend" - does that mean that it
> does not yet?

It does. But it depends on the sitemap feeding the context path into
the xslt.

> Anyway, please change them back - though i think that
> all links to docs should be changed, otherwise it
> is very confusing for other samples developers.

Agreed. I won't have the time to work on this right now, though. In
addition, the samples are being refactored (and to a large extent
broken) and I don't have a clue about the plan behind it.

> Sure. I think that it is important to have consistency and
> no "magic".

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l