Posted to users@maven.apache.org by to...@gi-de.com on 2008/02/25 15:55:30 UTC

Using different localRepositories in a continuous build environment?

Hi,

in our central build system (based on Luntbuild) I build and deploy shared
Snapshot Versions of some common API´s,
let´s say UI-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Second, I build (and install) continuous integration builds of all the
projects and common API´s,
lets say UI-1.0.-SNAPSHOT.jar and Backend-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar, depending on
UI-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

For the reason I have only one settings.xml with one <localRepository> I
now have a problem:
the "Snapshot builds" and the "continuous integration builds" share the
same localRepository.

The build of "Backend-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar" will therefore not download the
latest deployed version
of "UI-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar" from the "distribution repository", it will use
the version from it´s own localrepository - because of the continuous
integration build.

=> What´s recommended to setup a (continuous integration) build system
using Maven?
=> how can I setup a localRepository for each kind  of build (continuous
build, Snapshot Build, Release Build)?

Thanx, Torsten

Re: Using different localRepositories in a continuous build environment?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
If you clean the repo before each build, I hope you have Archiva or
something in your network, or that will be a painful and long build
process.

Also, make sure you've only got 1 build thread running at a time. More
than 1 Maven process accessing the same local repo is a no-no.

Wayne

Posted by Rémy Sanlaville <re...@gmail.com>.
Effectively Wendy, I forget this -Dmaven.repo.local argument.

Nevertheless, reproducibility is the way to go.
For the moment, I found that it is difficult to be 100% sure without
cleaning the local repository.
It's possible for instance to just do it once by night (and not for all
build).

We can imagine also to just purge the local repository with the maven
dependency plugin (cf.
dependency:purge-local-repository<http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/purge-local-repository-mojo.html>).
It's better but not enough because you just purge the dependencies and not
the needed plugins.
It's difficult to explain why but it's not unusual to see different result
with an empty local repository even if you specify the version for the
dependencies and the plugins.

Rémy

Re: Using different localRepositories in a continuous build environment?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 7:55 AM,  <to...@gi-de.com> wrote:

>  For the reason I have only one settings.xml with one <localRepository> I
>  now have a problem:
>  the "Snapshot builds" and the "continuous integration builds" share the
>  same localRepository.

You could use -Dmaven.repo.local=/path/to/repo on the command line of
each build execution, to control which ones share the same local repo.

--
Wendy