Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Tom Popovich <to...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/30 00:09:27 UTC

I would like to help out

I was thinking of starting some open source projects (from older ideas that
I had) and also
helping existing projects,

I saw this: And would be interested in learning how to join apache and help
out.

thanks, Tom Popovich

*Task added: *Sun May 29 2016
*Difficulty: * Journeyman - This requires a bit of knowledge of the
project, but otherwise is an easy task
*Task type:* Documentation and Guides

We introduced classes which provide support for the Microsoft Visio file
format (.vsdx ). Internally this is called XDGF.

Unfortunately the documentation about XDGF is lacking a bit,
http://poi.apache.org/overview.html does not list it correctly and the
sidebar point to http://poi.apache.org/hdgf/index.html, which is the
pre-Office 2007 .vsd-format, not .vsdx.

The documentation is built as Apache Forrest XML files. The source for
these is located at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/site/

The task includes reviewing the overview description of formats supported
by Apache POI to properly list the support for Visio file formats and to
add new documentation for the XDGF file format if necessary/appropriate.

Re: I would like to help out

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

great to get some help!

Dustin, the author of some of the Visio functionality, recently updated a
few things already, but there is surely a big need for more description and
guides for users to make it easier to get started.

All the documentation pages live in Subversion at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/site/, the latest Apache POI code is
at https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/site/, it pulls in the docs via an
SVN external link. When changes are checked in, they are immediately
published to http://poi.apache.org/ <http://poi.apache.org/howtobuild.html>

You probably can start by trying to get the docs built as described at
http://poi.apache.org/howtobuild.html by installing Apache Forrest in the
specified version. With this you can build the documentation pages locally
and take a look before submitting them.

You likely need to take a look at the available classes/code a bit and what
functionality they provide. One thing that usually helps developers most is
a "Quick Guide" which provides ready-made samples of how to do things with
the library, see e.g. http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/quick-guide.html
for something like this for the Excel format support.

I suggest you take a look around a bit and then get back to us with any
questions/hurdles that you ran into so we can get you going quickly!

Dominik.