Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dan Kirkwood <da...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/02 19:38:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC9)

Hello Incubator PMC,

The Apache Traffic Control community has voted on and approved a
proposal to release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating.  We now
kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.

The VOTE RESULT is here:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4aa7f70b34ba9d2e4190301ae7ea118aa86b297c81e60467aedaf3dc@%3Cdev.trafficcontrol.apache.org%3E

The draft release notes (along with links to artifacts,
signatures/checksums, and updated documentation) can be found here:

http://trafficcontrol.incubator.apache.org/downloads/

The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-1.8.0-RC9":
https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-1.8.0-RC9

The source distribution (also linked in the release notes) is here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/1.8.0/RC9/

Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is
included in the source artifact.

Artifacts have been signed with the "dangogh@apache.org" key listed in:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS

Please review and vote:

[  ] +1 Approve the release
[  ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)

- Dan

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC9)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 2/15/17, 4:37 PM, "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

>Dan,
>
>So here's my point of view.  Justin's provided some more context on how to
>shape licenses.  If you feel very strongly that the release should go out
>the door, the way it is, then I am OK with changing my vote to a +1.  If
>however, you're like me, and would prefer accuracy over speed, I think its
>worth your time to fix the remaining license issues, package up a CR10,
>and
>see that the IPMC votes +1 without reservations (it gives better
>confidence
>that you can cut an ASF release).
>
>I'm even willing to help you rewrite your license file for accuracy.

Here's another possible way to think about it:  A podling really should be
trying to graduate ASAP.  My project only cut one release before
graduating.  If you are pretty certain you are going to cut another
release before graduating, I would ship RC9 and fix it for the next
release.  And even if you aren't going to cut another release before
graduating, since the point of incubation is education, unless anybody in
the IPMC thinks you haven't learned enough, I'd say you have.

That's because to me, an even more important aspect than choosing
"accuracy over speed" is whether your community and RM has the time and
energy to go through another RC after 9 RCs so far.  Sometimes it is
better to ship and take a break from the RC train, especially if you are
sure you are going to cut another release while in incubation.  The
foundation probably isn't at risk here.  Community over code.

My 2 cents
-Alex

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC9)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Or is your feeling that inclusion of the LICENSE is enough of a prominent
> statement?

In this case yes I can't see any reason to include it in NOTICE and LICENSE inclusion would be enough. But I'd be interested in what other IPMC people think.

Either way it’s not a big issue, at worst a minor documentation issue, but if NOTICEs can be kept small they should.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC9)

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 9:27 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > The reason is that the license is a Cat B.  Otherwise, I would advise to
> > include it in your notices file as well.  NiFi does this well IMHO
> >
> https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/d838f61291d2582592754a37314911b701c6891b/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-web/nifi-web-ui/src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE
>
> As far as I can see there nothing in the OFL that makes it a required
> notice and for anything to be place in NOTICE. What am I missing?

TBH, I'm not sure, and I'm perfectly OK if someone says "no, you're wrong."
 Most projects I've looked at have it within the NOTICE file.  This seems
to line up with our application of it in the Cat B list though
http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Perfect, thanks Dan.

I'll point out that after looking at the PR I do see one more issue.  For
the font files, can you point to a public location for them?  google tends
to provide a free service hosting a number of fonts.

The reason is that the license is a Cat B.  Otherwise, I would advise to
include it in your notices file as well.  NiFi does this well IMHO
https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/d838f61291d2582592754a37314911b701c6891b/nifi-nar-bundles/nifi-framework-bundle/nifi-framework/nifi-web/nifi-web-ui/src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE

John

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org> wrote:
> > You're right -- fixing the license file is not a huge effort (now that
> > we understand what's expected..).  The effort is in going thru the
> > voting process again..
> >
> > I'll go with whatever you recommend..
>
> Folks, we're on RC *nine*.  The IPMC has the discretion to apply the
> "does it put the Foundation at risk" test for releases which don't
> follow policy yet are still legal.  This would seem like a good time
> to be flexible.

While we're on RC9, the IPMC has only been presented with 2 votes.  I have
no idea what happened between RC5 and RC9.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.
You're right -- fixing the license file is not a huge effort (now that
we understand what's expected..).  The effort is in going thru the
voting process again..

I'll go with whatever you recommend..

thanks.. Dan

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.
Thanks,  Alex..

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.
Thanks,  Alex..

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Thanks,  John..   I'm confused on this.   According to
> http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps :
>
> `In LICENSE, add a pointer to the dependency's license within the
> distribution and a short note summarizing its licensing:`

The pointer mentioned there is a file path to a text file in the release containing the full text of the license.

The problem with using URLs is that decay over time or their contents may change or the software may  be re-released under another license.

> Is MIT a special case in this regard?

No, the it a condition of the license "The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.” and most licenses have a clause similar to this.

Note that in a lot of cases you are abiding by this clause if the MIT licensed files in question have MIT headers. However in this case the MIT licensed JS files don’t have license headers.

>  And in that case,  do we need a separate full license entry for each MIT-licensed component we use?

Yes as per terms of the MIT license, but it doesn’t have to be in the LICENSE file, a pointer to the full text is preferred, especially in the case of long/many licenses.

> Is this RC acceptable other than the license issues you pointed out?

Sorry I’ve not had a chance to look in detail yet but will do in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC9)

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.
Thanks,  John..   I'm confused on this.   According to
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#permissive-deps :

`In LICENSE, add a pointer to the dependency's license within the
distribution and a short note summarizing its licensing:`

Is MIT a special case in this regard?  And in that case,  do we need a
separate full license entry for each MIT-licensed component we use?
Is this RC acceptable other than the license issues you pointed out?

Thanks..   Dan

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@gmail.com>.
Minor correction to the previous email -- the artifacts for RC9 are
located here https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/1.8.0/RC9/.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Dan Kirkwood <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The git tag for the repository is "RELEASE-1.8.0-RC9":
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/releases/tag/RELEASE-1.8.0-RC9
>
> The source distribution (also linked in the release notes) is here:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/1.8.0/RC9/
>
> Build instructions are included in the BUILD.md file which is
> included in the source artifact.
>
> Artifacts have been signed with the "dangogh@apache.org" key listed in:
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafficcontrol/KEYS
>
> Please review and vote:
>
> [  ] +1 Approve the release
> [  ] -1 Don't approve the release (please provide specific comments)

+1 (binding)

Validated Checksums, signatures, tarball contents matches git tag.
Spot-checked LICENSE/NOTICES vs issues raised in previous votes.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Traffic Control 1.8.0-incubating (RC9)

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.