Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by "Tamburello, Paul [USA]" <ta...@bah.com> on 2014/06/09 02:38:04 UTC

Accumulo Summit Hackathon

Accumulo Development Team -

As many of you already know, this week during the Accumulo Summit<http://accumulosummit.com/>, Booz Allen Hamilton is sponsoring a Hackathon<http://accumulosummit.com/program/hackathon/> event following the conference, from 5PM til 11PM.  As part of the agenda, we are working to put together a list of existing JIRA tickets that folks can work on during the Hackathon, so we want to solicit input from the Accumulo contributors. So, if you have suggestions for tasks that people can work on, please respond directly to me and we will add them to our list.

Thanks in advance, see you all on Thursday!
Paul

Paul Tamburello
Senior Lead Engineer
Strategic Innovation Group
301-821-8861 / 919-260-6158
tamburello_paul@bah.com

Re: Accumulo Summit Hackathon

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.
As promised, here are some stats:

The Accumulo Hackathon ran from 6:30pm to 11:00pm on June 12th, 2014. It
had 42 total attendees from places like Booz Allen Hamilton, Clearedge,
Cloudera, DoD, Hortonworks, JHU APL, Koverse, and sqrrl among other
organizations. The attendees included many of the core Accumulo project
founders and a number of the primary committers.

Leading into the Hackathon, the Accumulo community had identified 95
tickets as being suitable for new folks to work.

As the end of the event 4.5 hour event, 10 tickets were marked as complete
with code committed back to Accumulo and 7 tickets were marked in-progress.

In the course of the event 10 separate contributors worked on tickets, 5 of
these contributors were new or infrequent contributors to Accumulo.

Less tangibly, some solid mentoring and design work occurred throughout the
event. I observed some great collaboration between senior developers and
new contributors. Having many of us together in one room enabled some
detailed engineering and design to occur on components like the encryption
implementation, which a number of folks were working on.

Overall – it was a great session, people seemed to be having fun, learning
a lot, and working hard, so definitely a positive outcome.

Thanks again to all who participated.

Posted by Drew Farris <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Corey Nolet <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Moundalexis <al...@clouderagovt.com>.

Posted by Bill Havanki <bh...@clouderagovt.com>.
You may have already picked up on these sorts of tickets, but one place to
start looking is our list of open "newbie" tickets.

https://s.apache.org/newbie-accumulo

As I was starting out I also would find good tickets to work under the
Trivial priority:

https://s.apache.org/trivial-accumulo

Bill

--
// Bill Havanki
// 443.686.9283

Re: Accumulo Summit Hackathon

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@clouderagovt.com>.
I'd love to help folks to work on Kite SDK/Accumulo integration:

https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/CDK-220

-Joey

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
I really like the idea of pulling the tests into a docker image.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.