Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by laxmikanth sadula <la...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/27 16:45:45 UTC

New data center to an existing cassandra cluster

Hi,

I'm going to add a new data center DC3 to an existing cassandra cluster
which has already 2 data centers DC1 , DC2.

The thing I'm worried of is about tables in one keyspace which has QUORUM
reads and NOT LOCAL_QUORUM.
So while adding a new data centers with auto_bootstrap:false and 'nodetool
rebuild' , will the queries to tables in this keyspace will have any issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Laxmikanth

Re: New data center to an existing cassandra cluster

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com>.
If you’ve repaired at the point you alter keyspace to add the third DC, and you write with quorum, and your RF per DC is the same (for example, 3 in each DC), then you’ll likely get valid read requests, as long as none of the other nodes go down while you rebuild.

There are a lot of IFs and ANDs in that statement. Be sure you hit ALL of them or you may miss data on reads.

Posted by laxmikanth sadula <la...@gmail.com>.
Yes  , RF=3 in existing datacenters DC1 & DC2 and going to be same RF in
new datacenter DC3 which I'm going to add.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 11:15 PM, Alexander DEJANOVSKI <
adejanovski@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reads at quorum in dc3 will involve dc1 and dc2 as they will require a
> response from more than half the replicas throughout the Cluster.
>
> If you're using RF=3 in each DC, each read will need at least 5 responses,
> which DC3 cannot provide on its own.
>
> You can have troubles if DC3 has more than half then replicas, but I
> guess/hope it is not the case, otherwise you're fine.
>
> You would be in trouble though if you were using local_quorum on DC3 or
> ONE on any DC.
>

> Le sam. 27 août 2016 19:11, Surbhi Gupta <su...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>
>> Yes, it will have issue during the time new nodes are building....
>> So it is always advised to use LOCAL_QUORUM instead of QUORUM and
>> LOCAL_ONE instead of ONE
>>
>> On 27 August 2016 at 09:45, laxmikanth sadula <la...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm going to add a new data center DC3 to an existing cassandra cluster
>>> which has already 2 data centers DC1 , DC2.
>>>
>>> The thing I'm worried of is about tables in one keyspace which has
>>> QUORUM reads and NOT LOCAL_QUORUM.
>>> So while adding a new data centers with auto_bootstrap:false and
>>> 'nodetool rebuild' , will the queries to tables in this keyspace will have
>>> any issue ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Laxmikanth

Laxmikanth
99621 38051

Re: New data center to an existing cassandra cluster

Posted by Alexander DEJANOVSKI <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Surbhi Gupta <su...@gmail.com>.