Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ambarish Mitra <am...@persistent.co.in> on 2008/01/04 06:59:19 UTC

[users@httpd] Upgrading Apache 2.0.59 from open mode to SSL mode under Redhat Linux

Hi all,

I have a working version of apache 2.0.59 in open mode under Linux, and I
want to move it to SSL mode. Apparently, it was not compiled with SSL
support.

When I do "apachectl -l", in the list of compiled in modules, mod_ssl.c does
not come.

My question is: For moving it from open mode to SSL mode, do I have to
uninstall the current working apache2 and re-install again will SSL support?
Or, is there a way to just plugin the mod_ssl module into apache2?

I looked into the modssl.org site, and all information there are for
apache1.x, and not for apache 2.x.

Any help/pointers will be helpful.

My OS: Redhat Linux Advances Server 4.

Thanks for your time.

DISCLAIMER
==========

RE: [users@httpd] Upgrading Apache 2.0.59 from open mode to SSL mode under Redhat Linux

Posted by Boyle Owen <Ow...@swx.com>.

With apache 2, SSL support just involves compiling the mod_ssl module
and then loading it (see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_so.html#loadmodule).

You only need to compile the module - you don't need to recompile apache
again. See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/dso.html - probably you need
"usage summary", point 1.

NB1: You *do* need to have the OpenSSL library installed. Get the latest
version from http://www.openssl.org/, install it and then let apache
find it by setting the SSL_BASE environment variable, eg:

SSL_BASE=/path/to/openssl
export SSL_BASE

(in the shell you do the compilation).

NB2: Once you get mod_ssl active, apache won't magically switch to "SSL
mode" - you still need certificates, Listen 443, and to set up an SSL VH
- see docs for details.

> I looked into the modssl.org site, and all information there are for
> apache1.x, and not for apache 2.x.

With apache 1.3, SSL support was provided as a third-party module (ie,
external to apache.org). From apache 2 onwards, mod_ssl was brought into
apache.org and is now available as an optional extension module (ie, it
is in the apache distro). So, as you noticed, you don't need anything
from modssl.org.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Any help/pointers will be helpful.
>
> My OS: Redhat Linux Advances Server 4.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>

> DISCLAIMER
> ==========
> This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential
> information which is the property of Persistent Systems Ltd.
> It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
> to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended
> recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy,
> print, distribute or use this message. If you have received
> this communication in error, please notify the sender and
> delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems Ltd.
> does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of the message. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications through their networks.