Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2007/10/23 02:30:14 UTC

[ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.x no longer supported

The Apache Tomcat team wishes to announce that Tomcat 5.0.x will no
longer be supported.

Users are encouraged to upgrade to the latest stable 6.x release or,
if that is not practical, the latest stable 5.5.x for continued support.

Kind regards,

The Apache Tomcat team

Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.x no longer supported

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
On 10/23/07, nambo <na...@oss.ntt.co.jp> wrote:

> And is it possible to obtain the sources and binaries from now on?

http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-5/v5.0.28/src/

Rgds

Gregor
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.x no longer supported

Posted by nambo <na...@oss.ntt.co.jp>.
> > I was supprised that tomcat 5.0 documents suddenly disappeared,
> > but this is the reason. As long as I understand, there was no alert
> > about it beforehand. A lot of tomcat 5.0 users will be at a loss
> > because they are not ready for this announcement.
>
> It shouldn't be a great surprise. There hasn't been a 5.0.x release
> for almost 3 years and 5.0.x specific bugzilla items haven't been
> addressed for almost as long. All this does is make official what has
> in fact been the case for a while.
>
> > I hope at least the documents will be on the site for the time being.
>
> The docs have been removed to reduce confusion. There have been quite
> a few posts to this list referencing 5.0 docs when using 5.5 or 6.x
>
> > And is it possible to obtain the sources and binaries from now on?
>
> All previous releases will always be available from the Apache archives.

OK, I understand the situation of 5.0 and your decision.
My concern is that not a few users are still using 5.0 and maybe will not
move to 5.5 or 6.x even if 5.0 is not supported anymore. So I need the
5.0.x releases from now on for a while to support them, but as you say
if I can 'always' obtain all previous sources from archives, that will help
us anyway.

Kazu Nambo

Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.x no longer supported

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
nambo wrote:
>> The Apache Tomcat team wishes to announce that Tomcat 5.0.x will no
>> longer be supported.
>>
>> Users are encouraged to upgrade to the latest stable 6.x release or,
>> if that is not practical, the latest stable 5.5.x for continued support.
>
> I found it.
> I was supprised that tomcat 5.0 documents suddenly disappeared,
> but this is the reason. As long as I understand, there was no alert
> about it beforehand. A lot of tomcat 5.0 users will be at a loss
> because they are not ready for this announcement.

It shouldn't be a great surprise. There hasn't been a 5.0.x release
for almost 3 years and 5.0.x specific bugzilla items haven't been
addressed for almost as long. All this does is make official what has
in fact been the case for a while.

> I hope at least the documents will be on the site for the time being.

The docs have been removed to reduce confusion. There have been quite
a few posts to this list referencing 5.0 docs when using 5.5 or 6.x

> And is it possible to obtain the sources and binaries from now on?

All previous releases will always be available from the Apache archives.

Mark

Re: [ANN] Apache Tomcat 5.0.x no longer supported

Posted by nambo <na...@oss.ntt.co.jp>.
> The Apache Tomcat team wishes to announce that Tomcat 5.0.x will no
> longer be supported.
>
> Users are encouraged to upgrade to the latest stable 6.x release or,
> if that is not practical, the latest stable 5.5.x for continued support.

I found it.
I was supprised that tomcat 5.0 documents suddenly disappeared,
but this is the reason. As long as I understand, there was no alert
about it beforehand. A lot of tomcat 5.0 users will be at a loss
because they are not ready for this announcement.
I hope at least the documents will be on the site for the time being.
And is it possible to obtain the sources and binaries from now on?

Best Regards,
Kazu Nambo