Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Hari Kannan <ha...@citrix.com> on 2012/12/27 23:51:44 UTC

[DISCUSS]S3-based secondary storage

Hello All,

I wish to propose a S3-based secondary storage in CloudStack - I have added some details here<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/S3-based+secondary+Storage> along with a JIRA ticket 714

Please review and comment

Hari Kannan

Re: [DISCUSS]S3-based secondary storage

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hari, I confess I never setup Swift or bluster for use as secondary storage, but I thought we already supported S3 based sec storage, isn't it the case ?

From your wiki entry it seems that NFS is still needed for bootstrapping things, we definitely need to check that. If that were the case I would rename the feature request as "remove NFS dependency for S3 secondary storage"

-Sebastien

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hari, I confess I never setup Swift or bluster for use as secondary storage, but I thought we already supported S3 based sec storage, isn't it the case ?

From your wiki entry it seems that NFS is still needed for bootstrapping things, we definitely need to check that. If that were the case I would rename the feature request as "remove NFS dependency for S3 secondary storage"

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Hari,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Hari Kannan <ha...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Chip,
>
> As I understand, 509 "backs" the NFS secondary storage using a S3 compatible Object Store. I'm proposing that CS uses any S3 ased Object Store as the "main" secondary storage (I want to avoid using the word primary in this context..) - in that sense, it is similar to the Swift use case (which uses NFS as a temporary staging) - I don't know if that (NFS as a temporary staging is strictly required also? Plus, I want to have a single object store for the entire region, across multiple zones (it doesn't appear 509 can do that)
>
> Simply put, 509 is about "backing NFS secondary storage with an S3-compatible object store" - my proposal is about having an S3 compatible object store as THE secondary storage

Clear distinction.  Thanks for elaborating.

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.
Nfs as temporary staging( I call it cache storage) is not strictly required in the new storage framework, but it's required in the current/old code.

Posted by Hari Kannan <ha...@citrix.com>.
Hi Chip,

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.