Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com> on 2013/10/23 16:57:35 UTC

Optimizing bulk load performance

I'm trying to load data into hbase using HFileOutputFormat and incremental
bulk load but am getting rather lackluster performance, 10h for ~0.5TB
data, ~50000 blocks.  This is being loaded into a table that has 2
families, 9 columns, 2500 regions and is ~10TB in size.  Keys are md5
hashes and regions are pretty evenly spread.  The majority of time appears
to be spend in the reduce phase, with the map phase completing very
quickly.  The network doesn't appear to be saturated, but the load is
consistently at 6 which is the number or reduce tasks per node.

12 hosts (6 cores, 2 disk as RAID0, 1GB eth, no one else on the rack).

MR conf: 6 mappers, 6 reducers per node.

I spoke to someone on IRC and they recommended reducing job output
replication to 1, and reducing the number of mappers which I reduced to 2.
 Reducing replication appeared not to make any difference, reducing
reducers appeared just to slow the job down.  I'm going to have a look at
running the benchmarks mentioned on Michael Noll's blog and see what that
turns up.  I guess some questions I have are:

How does the global number/size of blocks affect perf.?  (I have a lot of
10mb files, which are the input files)

How does the job local number/size of input blocks affect perf.?

What is actually happening in the reduce phase that requires so much CPU?
 I assume the actual construction of HFiles isn't intensive.

Ultimately, how can I improve performance?
Thanks

Re: Optimizing bulk load performance

Posted by Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com>.
Haven't had a chance to run netperf, but spotted messages in syslog of the
form:

Oct 25 21:03:22 ... kernel: [107058.190743] net_ratelimit: 136 callbacks
suppressed
Oct 25 21:03:22 ... kernel: [107058.190746] nf_conntrack: table full,
dropping packet.

Which does perhaps suggest RPC requests are being dropped maybe.  ~16000
connections for port 50060 i.e. tasktracker, I guess I'll try raising the
max and seeing what effect that has.

Posted by Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
I guess Jean meant RPCs.

Posted by Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com>.
Excuse the ignorance, RCP?

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com>.

Posted by Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com>.

Posted by Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com>.
Hi JM

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Harry,

Posted by Premal Shah <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Harry,
I'm currently working on Map Reduce which also involves incremental bulk
load using the HFileOutputFormat and I see similar performance in the
reduce phase and I believe this is the reason. The KeyValues have to be
sorted before being written to the HFile. So, the reducer runs a
TotalOrderPartitioner<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r1.0.4/api/org/apache/hadoop/mapred/lib/TotalOrderPartitioner.html>
sort your map output and depending on how much data there is to sort plus
the allocated memory, sorting could be a performance bottleneck. The number
of reducers = number of regions and that cannot be overridden in the job
config. I guess this is related to your issue.

Hope this helps.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Harry Waye <hw...@arachnys.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to load data into hbase using HFileOutputFormat and incremental
> bulk load but am getting rather lackluster performance, 10h for ~0.5TB
> data, ~50000 blocks.  This is being loaded into a table that has 2
> families, 9 columns, 2500 regions and is ~10TB in size.  Keys are md5
> hashes and regions are pretty evenly spread.  The majority of time appears
> to be spend in the reduce phase, with the map phase completing very
> quickly.  The network doesn't appear to be saturated, but the load is
> consistently at 6 which is the number or reduce tasks per node.
>
> 12 hosts (6 cores, 2 disk as RAID0, 1GB eth, no one else on the rack).
>
> MR conf: 6 mappers, 6 reducers per node.
>
> I spoke to someone on IRC and they recommended reducing job output
> replication to 1, and reducing the number of mappers which I reduced to 2.
>  Reducing replication appeared not to make any difference, reducing
> reducers appeared just to slow the job down.  I'm going to have a look at
> running the benchmarks mentioned on Michael Noll's blog and see what that
> turns up.  I guess some questions I have are:
>
> How does the global number/size of blocks affect perf.?  (I have a lot of
> 10mb files, which are the input files)
>
> How does the job local number/size of input blocks affect perf.?
>
> What is actually happening in the reduce phase that requires so much CPU?
>  I assume the actual construction of HFiles isn't intensive.
>
> Ultimately, how can I improve performance?
> Thanks

Premal Shah.