Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> on 2015/06/24 01:25:49 UTC

[VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.1 (RC0) is available

I'm happy to announce the first release candidate of HBase 1.1.1
(HBase-1.1.1RC0) is available for download at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-1.1.1RC0/

Maven artifacts are also available in the staging repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1087/

Artifacts are signed with my code signing subkey 0xAD9039071C3489BD,
available in the Apache keys directory
https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/ndimiduk.asc

There's also a signed tag for this release at
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=hbase.git;a=tag;h=af1934d826cab80f727e9a95c5b564f04da73259

HBase 1.1.1 is the first patch release in the HBase 1.1 line, continuing on
the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the Hadoop and NoSQL
communities. This release includes over 100 bug fixes since the 1.1.0
release, including an assignment manager bug that can lead to data loss in
rare cases. Users of 1.1.0 are strongly encouraged to update to 1.1.1 as
soon as possible.

The full list of issues can be found at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12332169

Please try out this candidate and vote +/-1 by midnight Pacific time on
Sunday, 2015-06-28 as to whether we should release these artifacts as HBase
1.1.1.

Thanks,
Nick

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Just a reminder, there's roughly 6 hours left in the voting cycle.
Realistically a few more than that, as I won't observe results until
AM/Pacific time on Monday.

Thanks for your time and attention,
-n

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Here's my review of this RC:

- verified tarballs vs public key in p.a.o/keys/committers/ndimiduk.asc.
- extracted both tgz, structure looks good.
- examined book, pdf.
- ran Stack's hbase-downstreamer vs. the maven repo. tests pass.
- verified build of src tgz against hadoop versions (2.2.0/minikdc=2.3.0,
2.3.0, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, 2.5.0, 2.5.1, 2.5.2, 2.6.0, 2.7.0), with both
openjdk-1.7.0_79.jdk and openjdk-1.8.0_45.jdk.
- on 5-node cluster, verified rolling upgrade from
hadoop-2.4.0/hbase-0.98.0 while concurrently running LoadTestTool with LZ4
compression (0.98.0 client). No issues, logs look good.
- poked around with the shell on the same: list, status, snapshot, compact,
drop, clone, delete_snapshot, drop. no issues, logs look good.
- inspected compatibility report vs. 1.1.0 [0]. Looks good to me; a single
low-severity issue which I understand to be benign.

+1

[0]: http://people.apache.org/~ndimiduk/1.1.0_1.1.1RC0_compat_report.html

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
Here's my review of this RC:

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 4:23 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
jean-marc@spaggiari.org> wrote:

> Also, any idea why non of the tests pass on my side?
> I tried some of them individually and they passed:
>  T E S T S
> Running org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.TestClockSkewDetection
> Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.69 sec -
> in org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.TestClockSkewDetection
> Results :
>
> But it prevents me to run the entire test suite at once. I will give it few
> more tries today...

We have some flakey tests JM. Take a look at the build history for this
branch [0], branch-1, master... RM's have been filing tickets for the
biggest offenders, some of which have been picked up (thanks Mikhail,
Andrey, Stephen, Josh) but there's plenty more that haven't [1]. They get
pushed out to the next release.

I think dev's are out of practice running tests locally, and last I tried
them, our exclusive small/medium/large profiles are broken [2], which adds
even more barrier.

You can try to do as the Jenkins builds do, use the following when running
the full suite.

$ export MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx6100M -XX:-UsePerfData"
$ ulimit -a
$ mvn clean
$ mvn -PrunAllTests -DreuseForks=false install
-Dmaven.test.redirectTestOutputToFile=true
-Dsurefire.rerunFailingTestsCount=2 -Dit.test=noItTest

I've had a bit more luck locally with
bumping surefire.rerunFailingTestsCount up to 4, which means a test must
fail 5 times in order to sink the run. I've also considered tweaking the
level of parallelism configured in the poms, but haven't gotten there yet.

Your NoSuchMethod error on TestClockSkewDetection alarming. Do you have a
stack trace for that one? Do you know what method was missing?

[0]: https://builds.apache.org/job/HBase-1.1/
[1]:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20HBASE%20AND%20summary%20~%20%22Test*%22%20AND%20resolution%20%3D%20Unresolved%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.1.2%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC
[2]: http://search-hadoop.com/m/YGbbq0V7iveAiC1

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Sound like it's even better to have multiple of 25M... Running with 50M
now. Will see.

@Nick: For the test suite,I have been able to get one successful out of
4... Not impressive. I have restarted them with rerunFailingTestsCount=4.
Will see if it makes a difference...

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Here is my official +1.

- Checked sigs, crcs
- Checked dir layout
- Built src with Hadoop-2.3+
- Run local mode, smoke tests from shell
- Run LTT on local mode
- Checked compat report that Nick put up.
- Checked tag
- Checked src tarball contents against tag. There are two extra files:
 hbase-shaded-client/pom.xml  and hbase-shaded-server/pom.xml. Not sure
where they are coming from. Create an issue? But not important for the RC.

Plus, we have been running (close to) 1.1.1 bits against our test rig with
most of the IT's and the results never looked better.

Enis

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
Here is my official +1.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Checked signature for both bin and src => Passed.
Checked archive, documentation, .TXT files, etc. => Passed.
Ran it locally, tried create, drop, disable, alter, flush, put, scan =>
Passed
Deployed on 9 nodes with 0.98 /hbase folder with JDK8 and Hadoop 2.7.0=>
Passed. Yes. I'm able to read my tables, had not get a chance to run MR on
that yet.

However...

I'm unable to get any clean test run. Tried on 4 different servers with 2
JDKs, all failed.

With 1.7.0_45:
Tests in error:
  TestClockSkewDetection.testClockSkewDetection:110 » NoSuchMethod
java.util.con...
  TestProcedureManager.setupBeforeClass:53 » IO Shutting down

Tests in error:
  TestClockSkewDetection.testClockSkewDetection:110 » NoSuchMethod
java.util.con...
  TestProcedureManager.setupBeforeClass:53 » IO Shutting down

Tests in error:
  TestClockSkewDetection.testClockSkewDetection:110 » NoSuchMethod
java.util.con...
  TestProcedureManager.setupBeforeClass:53 » IO Shutting down

Tests in error:
  TestClockSkewDetection.testClockSkewDetection:110 » NoSuchMethod
java.util.con...
  TestProcedureManager.setupBeforeClass:53 » IO Shutting down

All failed with the exact same error.

With 1.8.0_45:
Failed tests:

TestFromClientSideWithCoprocessor>TestFromClientSide.testCheckAndDeleteWithCompareOp:5031
expected:<false> but was:<true>
  TestMultiParallel.testActiveThreadsCount:160 expected:<5> but was:<4>

TestReplicationEndpoint.testReplicationEndpointReturnsFalseOnReplicate:145
Waiting timed out after [60,000] msec

Tests in error:

TestSnapshotCloneIndependence.testOfflineSnapshotDeleteIndependent:177->runTestSnapshotDeleteIndependent:424
» RetriesExhausted
  TestTableLockManager.testReapAllTableLocks:283 » LockTimeout Timed out
acquiri...

Failed tests:
  TestFromClientSide.testCheckAndDeleteWithCompareOp:5031 expected:<false>
but was:<true>

[INFO] HBase - Server .................................... FAILURE
[1:58:05.610s]

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1