Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com> on 2003/03/05 03:09:11 UTC

Delphi

Hello.  I am interested in creating an open source Delphi (object pascal)
API for Xindice using the XML-RPC protocol.  I have already begun work on
this, but I need some guidance.

Right now I am simply trying to use Delphi to communicate with Xindice using
an existing Delphi API for XML-RPC.  I have had some success in that I am
able to connect to port 4080.  The message I am sending is intended to
return the document count for a collection.

Here is the message I send:

ng></value>
</data>
</array></value>
</param>
</params>
<RPCmethodName>db.getDocumentCount</RPCmethodName>
</methodCall>

And this is the reply that I receive:

<methodResponse><fault></fault>
</params>
</methodResponse>

Somehow, I don't think my message was properly constructed. I'm not sure
how to interpret the response, but it is not what I was expecting. I would
be grateful for any suggestions on this.

Thanks,
Pietro Michelucci

RE: Delphi

Posted by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com>.
Now that you mention it, I remember installing this add-on after installing
Xindice.
Pietro

RE: Delphi

Re: Delphi

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

RE: Delphi

Posted by Dave Viner <dv...@yahoo-inc.com>.
your perl binary should just "know" where its modules are. perl -V shows the
@INC value.
your Frontier::Client should be one of those directories.  If not, then
reinstall the Frontier Client using CPAN.  (perl -MCPAN -e shell .. then
type install Frontier::Client)

dave

Posted by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com>.

RE: Delphi

Posted by Dave Viner <dv...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: Delphi

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

RE: Delphi

Posted by Dave Viner <dv...@yahoo-inc.com>.
dunno... i don't use python.

dave

Posted by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com>.

RE: Delphi

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@apache.org>.
> Is adding Xindice add-ons to the Apache tree an option.  What is the
> disadvantage to keeping everything together on the Apache tree?

Everything is always an option and having some code on SF doesn't mean that it
won't be included into the Apache tree.  On the contratry: SF is often used to
mature projects before they join Apache.

Apache emphasis on "Community" and it's not IMO (only) a code repository.  If
you want to bring code into Apache, you must prove that you have a community of
developers AND users.

> Would it make sense to keep all of the development work on the Apache tree
> but at the same time keep a copy of all of the production-level source and
> binaries on SF?  That way Xindice developers would have a forum at Apache
> and potential users would have an easy access point at SF.

Too much hassle.  The current problem is that we should make a release but we
first learn how to do it in the Apache infrastructure.  Other projects do it
successfully so there's no reason that Xindice can't do it too.

> Does someone run the show here and make executive decisions about this kind
> of thing?  Or is this a sort of democratic process?

democratic process

> If there isn't a place to do
> this on the Apache tree, then, barring any reasonable objections, I will
> put it on SourceForge.

Good decision.  But it doesn't mean that the Delphi code can't ever be @
Apache.  Before you start committing into SF, drop me a mail since I have some
experience with the SF infrastructure.

I would also like to see the HTTP and WebDAV servlets for the latest CVS code
but haven't had the time to start working on it.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
Apache Xindice - http://xml.apache.org/xindice

RE: Delphi

Posted by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com>.

> > Did anyone object the last time you suggested this (a few months ago)?
>
> I proposed to moved a bunch of code (e.g. the eclipse-ui) from
> the Apache tree
> into a SF tree.  Others found that it was splitting the community
> and since we
> don't have a large community...

Is adding Xindice add-ons to the Apache tree an option.  What is the
disadvantage to keeping everything together on the Apache tree?

Would it make sense to keep all of the development work on the Apache tree
but at the same time keep a copy of all of the production-level source and
binaries on SF?  That way Xindice developers would have a forum at Apache
and potential users would have an easy access point at SF.

Does someone run the show here and make executive decisions about this kind
of thing?  Or is this a sort of democratic process?

Frankly, I am not particularly invested in where code is kept or
collaboration takes place.  I simply want a place to put my Xindice Delphi
API when it is ready so that others can use it, thus opening Xindice to a
large new population of potential adopters.  If there isn't a place to do

RE: Delphi

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@apache.org>.

RE: Delphi

Posted by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com>.
Did anyone object the last time you suggested this (a few months ago)?

If not, since you have experience, please go ahead and set up a new project
for Xindice add-ons.

Thank you,
Pietro

RE: Delphi

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@apache.org>.

RE: Delphi

Posted by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com>.
I like that idea.

It looks like the current clearinghouse for add-ons is
http://www.xmldatabases.org/movabletype/archives/000018.html

Sourceforge seems to have a lot of nice service:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=753&group_id=1

Does anyone on this group have experience as a Sourceforge contributor?

RE: Delphi

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@apache.org>.

RE: Delphi

Posted by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com>.
Got it.  Thanks for getting me up and running.

RE: Delphi

RE: Delphi

Posted by Pietro Michelucci <pe...@experimentaldata.com>.
Dave,