Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/05 20:29:46 UTC

On cross-posting to general@ (Was: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Accumulo to TLP)

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Billie J Rinaldi
<bi...@ugov.gov> wrote:
> Note: This vote began in a separate thread, but only received 1 non-binding vote in
> 40 hours.  I am posting a new thread so more people will notice and have time to vote.

At least for me and probably also for other GMail-users the original
vote message got included in the same thread as the previous [RESULT]
of the community vote which got cc'd to general@, making it a bit
difficult to spot the actual IPMC vote call.

There's recently been a few other cases where a vote or another thread
has been going on simultaneously on both podling-dev@ and general@,
and in such cases it can be a bit difficult to tell which list is
actually being addressed. For example the recent community vote on
graduating RAT/Creadur had a lot of responses sent only to general@,
which seemed a bit misplaced to me.

It's not too big a deal, but to avoid some extra confusion it might be
useful if people avoided cross-posting between lists and instead send
a forward or an archive URL in cases where information needs to be
passed across lists. That should help make the context of each thread
clearer.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: On cross-posting to general@ (Was: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Accumulo to TLP)

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1, I brought this same thing up on the Sqoop VOTE.

It is definitely confusing for me :)

Cheers,
Chris

On Mar 5, 2012, at 11:29 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Billie J Rinaldi
> <bi...@ugov.gov> wrote:
>> Note: This vote began in a separate thread, but only received 1 non-binding vote in
>> 40 hours.  I am posting a new thread so more people will notice and have time to vote.
>
> At least for me and probably also for other GMail-users the original
> vote message got included in the same thread as the previous [RESULT]
> of the community vote which got cc'd to general@, making it a bit
> difficult to spot the actual IPMC vote call.
>
> There's recently been a few other cases where a vote or another thread
> has been going on simultaneously on both podling-dev@ and general@,
> and in such cases it can be a bit difficult to tell which list is
> actually being addressed. For example the recent community vote on
> graduating RAT/Creadur had a lot of responses sent only to general@,
> which seemed a bit misplaced to me.
>
> It's not too big a deal, but to avoid some extra confusion it might be
> useful if people avoided cross-posting between lists and instead send
> a forward or an archive URL in cases where information needs to be
> passed across lists. That should help make the context of each thread
> clearer.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.