Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by sur04sep <su...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/02 14:24:58 UTC

CXF:Request Data Validation

Hi,
What is the advisable and extensible way of validating our soap request
data?
Few people on this forum suggest about JAXB validation but that has limited
scope.
Like i wish to validate
1) null values
2) Email feilds
3) value range
etc etc...
So probably will end up writing a custom validator.
What I feel there should be a way for service invoker also to know about all
these business rules. Like validation rules as a part WSDL specifications.

What is the advisable approach for it? And where exactly validation layer
should be? In service implementation or interceptor?

Thanks in advance.
Suresh

Re: CXF:Request Data Validation

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
As I see it, there will always be some distance between the real
business rules and what you can express as XML schema constraints on a
blob of XML that a browser is sending you from a form (assuming REST,
etc).

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:06 AM, sur04sep <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly that is what i am bit confused about.
> That is why I wrote that should it be in Service implementation..
> Actually I was thinking in this line that invoker should know about it
> before invoking, the way we have it in web forms by marking asterisk or some
> comment. So thought may be it should be part of my service definition. So
> just wanted to check all possible options as my knowledge is limited.
> Otherwise will eventually add validation logic in my Business Layer/Service
> Implementation.
>
> Regards,
> Suresh
>

> bimargulies wrote:
>>
>> Are you sure that XML validation of the soap request is really what
>> makes sense, as opposed to business logic validation of the values as
>> delivered to your service?
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM, sur04sep <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> What is the advisable and extensible way of validating our soap request
>>> data?
>>> Few people on this forum suggest about JAXB validation but that has
>>> limited
>>> scope.
>>> Like i wish to validate
>>> 1) null values