Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> on 2012/01/31 10:14:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Hi all guys,

I would like to propose Syncope, an Open Source system for managing
identities in enterprise environments, implemented in JEE technology,
originally developed by Tirasa, an Italian IT company, to be an Apache
Incubator project.
The goal for Syncope is to become the reference implementation for
Open Source Identity Management, a middleware area in which there are
very few and not yet mature Open Source solutions available.

Here's a link to the proposal in the Incubator wiki[1] where we
started collecting all needed info.

As you will note, the list of mentors is in need of some volunteers,
so if you find this interesting, feel free to sign up or let us know
you are interested :).

Hope to read from you soon, thanks in advance and have a nice day!
All the best,
Simo

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SyncopeProposal

http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/
http://twitter.com/simonetripodi
http://www.99soft.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 1/31/12 11:44 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò wrote:
> On 31/01/2012 11:31, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> On 1/31/12 11:08 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>>> Hi Simo!
>>>
>>> Sounds like a really nice project.
>> Sounds nice, yes.
>>> But I wonder if there is some overlap with the Apache Shiro project [1]?
>> IMO, Syncope spectra is wider than Shiro. Actually, Syncope *could*
>> use Shiro.
> Correct.
>
>> I have a Q : Can't it be a bit larger than just JEE based ? Many would
>> like a solution which extends to tomcat only...
> Syncope officially supports Apache Tomcat 7 as first option [1],
> Glassfish 3.1.1 (recently, on trunk) [2] and JBoss 7 (ongoing work, on
> trunk) [3].
>
>> +1 for the proposal otherwise, I can help mentoring the project to
>> some extent.
> Does this mean that we can put your name on the proposal? ;-)
Sure.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 31/01/2012 11:31, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> On 1/31/12 11:08 AM, Mark Struberg wrote:
>> Hi Simo!
>>
>> Sounds like a really nice project.
>
> Sounds nice, yes.
>>
>> But I wonder if there is some overlap with the Apache Shiro project [1]?
>
> IMO, Syncope spectra is wider than Shiro. Actually, Syncope *could*
> use Shiro.

Correct.

> I have a Q : Can't it be a bit larger than just JEE based ? Many would
> like a solution which extends to tomcat only...

Syncope officially supports Apache Tomcat 7 as first option [1],
Glassfish 3.1.1 (recently, on trunk) [2] and JBoss 7 (ongoing work, on
trunk) [3].

> +1 for the proposal otherwise, I can help mentoring the project to
> some extent.

Does this mean that we can put your name on the proposal? ;-)

Regards.

[1]
http://wiki.syncope-idm.org/index.php?title=GettingStarted/RunDeployment#Apache_Tomcat_7
[2] http://blog.tirasa.net/blogs/index.php/ilgrosso/openjpa-2-2-0-and
[3] http://code.google.com/p/syncope/issues/detail?id=239

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 2/1/2012 12:51 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 08:56, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm also trying, more pointedly, to head off the 'AWOL mentor' problem
>> by asking mentors to think about, and state, the commitment they are
>> making.
>
> But your approach is pre-judging them. I think it is better to be
> optimistic -- that people *will* continue as proper Mentors. "Trust,
> but verify". *IF* somebody goes AWOL, then deal with it at that time,
> rather than simply assuming that up front.

+1

> Find a way to detect an AWOL mentor rather than requesting these
> uncomfortable justifications.

++1

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
The word 'justification' occurred nowhere in my email. Nonetheless, I
already apologized for my poor choice of tone. I could see someone
reading my query as calling for a 'resume', but I prefer to think of
it as an 'introduction.'

I will continue to ask proposed podlings to draw a picture of their
mentors' experience, and I will continue to look for ways to remind
proposed mentors that podlings' success will depend, in part, on their
involvement and commitment. Our job in evaluating proposals is to
evaluate whether the minimal necessary ingredients are there. I don't
claim to know exactly what they are, but clearly mentor knowledge and
commitment is in there somewhere. And I may, indeed, vote -1 some day
on a podling proposal if I feel that there is a really severe gap.
Which, of course, won't be a veto, since we don't do these decisions
by consensus, so I wouldn't expect that to be a dramatic gesture
generating a giant cloud of flying fur.

I have learned from this interchange that I need to be much more
careful in phrasing when exploring this area.

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 08:56, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no problem with someone starting out as a mentor. *I* started
> out as a mentor not too long ago. But as an IPMC member, I'd like to
> know the experience profiles of mentors.

I think there are better ways to learn about people's contributions
than asking them to provide a resume/justification for their desire to
be a Mentor.

> I'm also trying, more pointedly, to head off the 'AWOL mentor' problem
> by asking mentors to think about, and state, the commitment they are
> making.

But your approach is pre-judging them. I think it is better to be
optimistic -- that people *will* continue as proper Mentors. "Trust,
but verify". *IF* somebody goes AWOL, then deal with it at that time,
rather than simply assuming that up front.

Find a way to detect an AWOL mentor rather than requesting these
uncomfortable justifications.

Thanks,
-g

Re: Mentor attrition

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 01:40:36PM -0500, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Yes, there are good reasons why a person might depart from the role of
> mentor. My view is that this is about balance. Mentors, in my opinion,
> should be signed up to putting in the necessary effort for a
> reasonable period of time. Of course, stuff happens, but if a proposal
> comes with three mentors, none of whom feel confident that they'll be
> around in two months, I think that it calls for some thinking.

+1, and thank you for thinking about this.

It's bad if *all* of a podling's original Mentors drop away.  I think we can
do more to prepare for the possible attrition of some.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: Mentor attrition

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
There has been a lot of heated email sent on the incubator lists in
the last few months. It was my mistake not to realize that my email
asking about mentor commitment and experience would be read in the
light of that context.

I don't claim to know why the mentor-less podlings lost their mentors,
and it's not my intention to cast aspersions on any relevant
individuals.

However, I do think that the IPMC should think a moment about the
mentors before approving any given proposal. I repeat: 'think a
moment.' At very least, I think that I am entitled to wonder whether
the proposed mentors of a proposed podling are likely to require some
additional support and assistance to succeed. I might make it my
business to provide it.

Mentor attrition

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 08:56:01AM -0500, Benson Margulies wrote:
> I'm also trying, more pointedly, to head off the 'AWOL mentor' problem
> by asking mentors to think about, and state, the commitment they are
> making.

A lot of harsh words have been directed towards "AWOL Mentors" lately.  The
more I've thought about it, though, the harder it gets to muster indignation
towards these well-meaning volunteers.

The root cause of Mentor attrition lies in the fundamental assymetry between
the investment of a podling's core contributors and the investment of its
Mentors.  People come and go in open source, and because Mentors have
proportionally lower personal investment in their podlings, it is predictable
that they will drop away at a greater rate.  Heck, we probably have enough
data at this point to build a nice model and calculate how many fractions of a
Mentor a podling can expect to lose month-by-month.

Advising Mentor candidates up front that they are making a long term
commitment doesn't change the investment assymetry.  I'm skeptical that it
will accomplish much beyond scaring off some people who could otherwise have
done some good.  Even Mentors who "go AWOL" will often have made valuable
contributions before they drift away.  Since the bulk of Mentoring work
happens at the start of Incubation, is it so bad to have a lot of help around
when a podling needs it most?

For what it's worth, in my assessment, the problem is not that podlings shed a
few Mentors along their journey -- it's that unlike Apache PMCs, podling
oversight structures are fragile and do not easily withstand personnel churn
or self-replenish.

It seems that we only look for new Mentors at times of crisis, when the
official count drops below three.  I humbly suggest that we might seek to
expand podling IPMC representation during times of plenty, and that instead of
looking to our beloved usual suspects, we look to standout podling
contributors who have demonstrated a thorough understanding of the Apache Way.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I apologize if my choice of words here engendered a belief that I was
trying to hold mentors to a new standard.

The IPMC has been discussing the problem of mentors who don't do their
job. I'm trying to approach this problem from the front end, instead
of waiting for it to be a problem later on.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>wrote:

> On 1 February 2012 09:06, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/1/12 1:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear Proposed Syncope mentors:
> >>
> >> Please post messages on this thread indicating your prior experience
> >> as mentors,
> >
> > Does mentors have to have any experience ? Is this a new policy for
> being a
> > mentor on an incubator project, or something you just are interested in ?
>
> Personally I find the request for mentors to justify themselves in
> this way quite disturbing. I do understand what Benson is trying to
> address here, I just don't think this is the right way. We have not,
> to my knowledge, agreed any changes to the mentor role. All people
> currently able to mentor have been pre-approved by the IPMC. Frankly I
> find it distasteful expecting volunteers with good intentions to
> further justify themselves.

+1

Indeed and very well put.

> That is not to say that things are OK as they are, but lets not take
> rash actions, lets figure it out and take one step at a time.

Also well put.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
On 2/1/12 10:39 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 1 February 2012 09:06, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2/1/12 1:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>> Dear Proposed Syncope mentors:
>>>
>>> Please post messages on this thread indicating your prior experience
>>> as mentors,
>> Does mentors have to have any experience ? Is this a new policy for being a
>> mentor on an incubator project, or something you just are interested in ?
> Personally I find the request for mentors to justify themselves in
> this way quite disturbing. I do understand what Benson is trying to
> address here, I just don't think this is the right way. We have not,
> to my knowledge, agreed any changes to the mentor role. All people
> currently able to mentor have been pre-approved by the IPMC. Frankly I
> find it distasteful expecting volunteers with good intentions to
> further justify themselves.
Same feeling here. This would raise a barrier that is most likely to
discourage potential mentors.

This is a meritocracy, those who already have gain access to the IPMC
have already proved themselves, and have qualified as potential mentors,
imho. Not to say that every ASF member will be good mentors, but the
reason we require that any podling have 3 mentors is just to mitigate
the risk that one of them is not fullfiling his duty.

Now, if we are to discuss the way incubator should be managed, then the
best is to start another thread.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 1 February 2012 09:06, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/1/12 1:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>>
>> Dear Proposed Syncope mentors:
>>
>> Please post messages on this thread indicating your prior experience
>> as mentors,
>
> Does mentors have to have any experience ? Is this a new policy for being a
> mentor on an incubator project, or something you just are interested in ?

Personally I find the request for mentors to justify themselves in
this way quite disturbing. I do understand what Benson is trying to
address here, I just don't think this is the right way. We have not,
to my knowledge, agreed any changes to the mentor role. All people
currently able to mentor have been pre-approved by the IPMC. Frankly I
find it distasteful expecting volunteers with good intentions to
further justify themselves.

That is not to say that things are OK as they are, but lets not take
rash actions, lets figure it out and take one step at a time.

Ross

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 2/1/12 1:04 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
> Dear Proposed Syncope mentors:
>
> Please post messages on this thread indicating your prior experience
> as mentors,
Does mentors have to have any experience ? Is this a new policy for
being a mentor on an incubator project, or something you just are
interested in ?
> if any, and your willing to remain in place as active
> mentors for at least a year.
Mentors are supposed to remain mentors up to graduation. It's certainly
not necessary to require that a proposed mentor express a will to remain
mentor for more than a year...

I'm missing something here ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Benson,

I am an ASF Member since 2011 and, despite the TLPs in which I am
involved, I've been taking part in a good number of incubating
projects at ASF, such as BVal, Amber, Any23 (official Mentor),
DirectMemory and OGNL (graduated in commons).

I feel quiet confident that I can cover the mentor role in Syncope.

best,
-Simo

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
> Hi Francesco and Simo,
>
> it looks interesting.
>
> As an Identity Manager, I wonder if we can't extend it to OSGi, in
> addition of JEE.

Hi,
I must admit that I am not very deep in OSGi stuff, but there shouldn't
be nothing against making Syncope core work in - say ;-) - Karaf, due to
its dependencies (see the proposal for more details).

We will need an OSGi helping hand for this, of course...

Regards.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
Salut Jean-Baptiste,

why not? :) Feel free to add yourself in the proposal if you like it!!! :)

A trés bientot,
-Simo

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Francesco and Simo,

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Simo!

Sounds like a really nice project.

But I wonder if there is some overlap with the Apache Shiro project [1]?

LieGrue,
strub

[1] http://shiro.apache.org/

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Proposal looks good.

Niall

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
2012/2/6 Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>

> On 03/02/2012 22:30, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Maurizio Cucchiara
> > <mc...@apache.org>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> I can't abstain from taking part (the call of the patriotic spirit).
> >> Jokes apart, I'm strongly interested in Identity Management (I have been
> >> looking for a good solution without success for a long time) and I
> would be
> >> honored to give my contribution.
> >> So I'm going to take the freedom to add myself to the initial committers
> >> list (obviously if there are no objection)
> >>
> >> Twitter     :http://www.twitter.com/m_cucchiara
> >> G+          :https://plus.google.com/107903711540963855921
> >> Linkedin    :http://www.linkedin.com/in/mauriziocucchiara
> >>

> > I am really interested especially since we started stuff like this in the
> > past like triple sec and the LDAP/KRB side built out over at directory is
> > so important for IdM. However I'm finding less and less time to mentor
> and
> > am trying unsuccessfully to effectively mentor the projects I'm already
> > involved with.
> >
> > So it would be irresponsible of me to volunteer now. However guys give
> me a
> > rain check and when/if things do change I'm there to help in a hands-on
> way
> > since this topic and your project is very important to me.
>
> Thanks for this: would you like to be added in the "Other interested
> people" section?

Sure put me down. Hopefully life will ease up one day and I can get
involved hands on with this project.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Syncope to Join the Apache Incubator

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 03/02/2012 22:30, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Maurizio Cucchiara
> <mc...@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I can't abstain from taking part (the call of the patriotic spirit).
>> Jokes apart, I'm strongly interested in Identity Management (I have been
>> looking for a good solution without success for a long time) and I would be
>> honored to give my contribution.
>> So I'm going to take the freedom to add myself to the initial committers
>> list (obviously if there are no objection)
>>
>> Twitter     :http://www.twitter.com/m_cucchiara
>> G+          :https://plus.google.com/107903711540963855921
>> Linkedin    :http://www.linkedin.com/in/mauriziocucchiara
>>

> I am really interested especially since we started stuff like this in the
> past like triple sec and the LDAP/KRB side built out over at directory is
> so important for IdM. However I'm finding less and less time to mentor and
> am trying unsuccessfully to effectively mentor the projects I'm already
> involved with.
>
> So it would be irresponsible of me to volunteer now. However guys give me a
> rain check and when/if things do change I'm there to help in a hands-on way
> since this topic and your project is very important to me.

Thanks for this: would you like to be added in the "Other interested
people" section?

> Welcome, and I hope you succeed in all your endeavors and build a vibrant
> community here at Apache.

Thank you very much for such warm welcome!

Cheers.

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.

Posted by Francesco Chicchiriccò <il...@apache.org>.
On 03/02/2012 10:35, Maurizio Cucchiara wrote:
> Hi,
> I can't abstain from taking part (the call of the patriotic spirit).
> Jokes apart, I'm strongly interested in Identity Management (I have been
> looking for a good solution without success for a long time) and I would be
> honored to give my contribution.
> So I'm going to take the freedom to add myself to the initial committers
> list (obviously if there are no objection)

Maurizio,
your contribution is more than welcome! I've added your name in the
proposal.

Thanks!

>>> http://simonetripodi.**livejournal.com/<http://simonetripodi.livejournal.com/>
>>> http://twitter.com/**simonetripodi<http://twitter.com/simonetripodi>
>>> http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <mc...@apache.org>.
Hi,
I can't abstain from taking part (the call of the patriotic spirit).
Jokes apart, I'm strongly interested in Identity Management (I have been
looking for a good solution without success for a long time) and I would be
honored to give my contribution.
So I'm going to take the freedom to add myself to the initial committers
list (obviously if there are no objection)

Twitter     :http://www.twitter.com/m_cucchiara
G+          :https://plus.google.com/107903711540963855921
Linkedin    :http://www.linkedin.com/in/mauriziocucchiara

Maurizio Cucchiara