Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stefan <lu...@gmx.de> on 2015/09/17 03:08:22 UTC

Dropping APR 0.9.x specifics from INSTALL doc

Hi,

before I'm making that change want to check here whether this is ok:

The intend is to drop the sections about compatibility issues between
APR 0.9.x and APR 1.x from the INSTALL documentation.

Reasoning is that APR 0.9.x is no longer supported since SVN 1.9.
Furthermore, Apache HTTPD >= 2.2 also requires at least APR 1.x. So IMO
there is no longer any need to point out these compatibility concerns in
INSTALL on trunk and the 1.9-branch.

Regards,
Stefan

Re: Dropping APR 0.9.x specifics from INSTALL doc

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.

Stefan wrote:
> The intend is to drop the sections about compatibility issues between
> APR 0.9.x and APR 1.x from the INSTALL documentation.
>
> Reasoning is that APR 0.9.x is no longer supported since SVN 1.9.
> Furthermore, Apache HTTPD >= 2.2 also requires at least APR 1.x. So IMO
> there is no longer any need to point out these compatibility concerns in
> INSTALL on trunk and the 1.9-branch.

I just want to add a word of thanks for your work here: Yes, please do
this! Thank you for doing this! The instructions were much too long
and messy, and this, and your other changes, will make them easier to
understand.

- Julian

RE: Dropping APR 0.9.x specifics from INSTALL doc

Posted by be...@qqmail.nl.
I think we currently require APR >= 1.3 on trunk and 1.9, so feel free to remove outdated references to older versions.

   Bert