Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> on 2004/03/15 12:09:31 UTC

Re: Native JCE license, etc

Jeff Turner wrote:

> According to the license, the code has the following copyright:
>
>   "Copyright (c) 2002
>    University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development, Inc.
>    All rights reserved"
>
>    -- http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/license.html
>
> Do we have some indication from them that they are willing to transfer
> copyright to the ASF?

Yup - and the people involved are aware of the relevant form to provide
copyright to the ASF.  Having said that  this is one reason this would
need to go through the incubator.

> And just to be picky:
>
>   "..subject to The ASF signing a form indicating that the Foundation
> understands the US export control requirements and agrees to abide by
> them."
>
> Does this imply we need "I'm not a terrorist, honest" checkboxes on the
> download page, like Sun has?  If so, we'll need to ensure it isn't
> mirrored.  Anyway, hope whoever signs the form is more enlightened on
> these matters than me :)

We've been through a lot of this with xml-security already, as we are
implementing encryption functionality in those libraries.  So the
thinking at the moment is the same requirements would be in place
(notification of BIS etc.)

Given this is  "publically available" source code, the requirement for
active checking on web sites is not active.  However, were we to
directly send the code to a part of the world that is controlled, we
would need to apply for an export permit.

http://www.bxa.doc.gov/Encryption/Q&A18oct.htm#24

Cheers,
	Berin