Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Shashidhar Rao <ra...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/15 11:45:37 UTC

Software stack for Recommendation engine with spark mlib

Hi,

Can anyone who has developed recommendation engine suggest what could be
the possible software stack for such an application.

I am basically new to recommendation engine , I just found out Mahout and
Spark Mlib which are available .
I am thinking the below software stack.

1. The user is going to use Android app.
2.  Rest Api sent to app server from the android app to get recommendations.
3. Spark Mlib core engine for recommendation engine
4. MongoDB database backend.

I would like to know more on the cluster configuration( how many nodes etc)
part of spark for calculating the recommendations for 500,000 items. This
items include products for day care etc.

Other software stack suggestions would also be very useful.It has to run on
multiple vendor machines.

Please suggest.

Thanks
shashi

Re: Software stack for Recommendation engine with spark mlib

Posted by Shashidhar Rao <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nick, for your suggestions.

Posted by Nick Pentreath <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shashidhar Rao <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shashidhar Rao <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi ,

Just 2 follow up questions, please suggest

1. Is there any commercial recommendation engine apart from the open source
tools(Mahout,Spark)  that are available that anybody can suggest ?

2. In this case only the purchase transaction is captured. There are no
ratings and no feedback available, no page views calculated by the
application, so in this case how far the recommendation engine will be
effective in recommending similar products to a user.
What are the features that should be available in order to create a robust
recommendation engine. e.g  product views etc, please kindly suggest a few
features that should be available.
Is purchase enough?

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.