Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Troy Gould <tr...@dooyoo.co.uk> on 2001/09/17 22:51:56 UTC

build times unix/windows

This sounds really odd, but it's taking way longer for ant to work on a
unix box versus a windows box.
Doing a javac with the same version of the jdk (1.3.1)  takes 19 seconds
on windows 2000 and 50 seconds on Unix.
I'm also doing a bunch of ejb-c for Weblogic 6.1 and these are also
taking signifigantly longer on Unix.
Anyone have any ideas?

Does javac just take longer on unix?

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 06:51, Troy Gould wrote:
> This sounds really odd, but it's taking way longer for ant to work on a
> unix box versus a windows box.
> Doing a javac with the same version of the jdk (1.3.1)  takes 19 seconds
> on windows 2000 and 50 seconds on Unix.
> I'm also doing a bunch of ejb-c for Weblogic 6.1 and these are also
> taking signifigantly longer on Unix.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Does javac just take longer on unix?

Generally it takes a shorter amount of time because most unix filesystems are
faster to access.

What is different between two systems? What unix are you building on? Is the
unix running of a slower filesystem or a remote filesystem (ie NFS/SMB
mounted or other?). Are you using equivelent JVMs etc.

--
Cheers,

Pete

| Trying is the first step to failure.           |
|   So never try, Lisa  - Homer Jay Simpson      |