Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Richard Tang <tr...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/10 13:17:09 UTC

is it possible to view the number of hfiles a GET touches in hbase?

Hi,
Given a GET() operation, I want to monitor the number of on-disk hfiles it
touches? GET() may need to
check every in-memory hfiles (block index),  but don't need to touch every
on-disk parts of hfiles. I want to know
how many disk hfile a GET() accesses, that is, how many disk IO a GET() end
up with...

is it possible to obtain this information without hack into hbase source
code?
Richard

Re: is it possible to view the number of hfiles a GET touches in hbase?

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
This won't be possible until we add tracing in HBase. It's being
worked on here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6449

J-D

Posted by jmozah <jm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Richard,

I am not so sure if there is any HBase metrics on this...!!!
But you can use the DataNode metrics like "blocksRead", "readBlockOp" etc to come to some conclusion.

Ganglia may come in handy here..

./Zahoor