Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Mike Zirkle <mi...@sbcglobal.net> on 2006/03/08 14:30:58 UTC

Re: log4j 1.2.8 and JMX - Dynamic changing of log levels

Shane McEneaney <shane_mceneaney <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently upgraded to log4j 1.2.8 to avail of the support for JMX. I
> have been unable to find documentation on how to enable JMX for log4j.
> Should this happen by default? I have successfully installed a JMX broswer
> and can see all other MBeans but none for log4j.
>
> I want the ability to change log levels at runtime. It is not possible for
> me to change the log4j.properties as my application is included in an ear. I
> can create my own MBean and change the log level in it but I'd prefer to use
> those provided by log4j. We are using log4j through the
>
> Have any of you done this?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shane

Shane,

The MBeans must be registered in your implementation somewhere and run the
application with the following vm options "-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote"
Example of registering one of the jog4j MBean's:

MBeanServer server =  ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer();
ObjectName objname = new ObjectName("review javadoc");
server.registerMBean(new LoggerDynamicMBean(Logger.getRootLogger()), objname);

Then connect via RMI connector and have fun with your bean. It works rather
nicely :)