Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Cobban <jc...@magma.ca> on 2002/11/19 15:51:26 UTC

Why can I not use attributes "lang" and "maxRows" in a custom tag

Tomcat 4.1.12 does not accept a custom tag with attributes "lang" or "maxRows".  When I asked about this on the Tomcat users list I was informed that it also does not accept the attribute "class".

Specifically if I define those attributes then when the jsp is compiled I get an "unable to find setter" error.  If I replace them with similar but meaningless attribute names the page compiles correctly.

I have searched the JSP 1.2 and Tomcat 4 documentation exhaustively and I cannot find any indication that these attributes are not allowed.  The names I want are the ones I feel will be most intuitive to my users. The "lang" keyword is to be used to specify the natural language of the interface and the "maxRows" attribute is to be used to specify the maximum number of rows from a database query which are to be displayed.

I really want to use these attribute names.  If there is a list of forbidden attribute names this should be documented somewhere.

Jim Cobban   jcobban@magma.ca
34 Palomino Dr.
Kanata, ON, CANADA
K2M 1M1