Posted to dev@nutch.apache.org by Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org> on 2007/11/15 22:37:22 UTC

Commit Times for Issues

So I have been talking with some of the other committers and I wanted to
layout a suggestion for standardizing some of the nutch committer
workflow processes in the hope of speeding up nutch development.

The first one I was hoping to tackle is time to commit.  At least for me
it has been hard to know when to commit something, especially when it
was trivial or no one commented on the issue.  Here is what is being
proposed:

Trivial changes = immediate, this at the discretion of the committers
Minor changes = 24 hours from latest patch or 1 or more +1 from committers
Major and blocker changes = 4 days from latest patch or 2 or more +1
from committers

This way if an issue has been active for some time but no one has taken
a look at it, and it has passed all unit tests, then we can go ahead and
commit it.  Also this should allow more of the smaller changes to be
handled faster.

So these of course are just some suggestions would love to hear from
others in the community.  What I think would be best is to come to a
consensus on this and then have a wiki page describing this and other
processes for committers.

Dennis Kubes

Re: Commit Times for Issues

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Dennis Kubes wrote:
> So I have been talking with some of the other committers and I wanted to
> layout a suggestion for standardizing some of the nutch committer
> workflow processes in the hope of speeding up nutch development.
>
> The first one I was hoping to tackle is time to commit.  At least for me
> it has been hard to know when to commit something, especially when it
> was trivial or no one commented on the issue.  Here is what is being
> proposed:
>
> Trivial changes = immediate, this at the discretion of the committers
> Minor changes = 24 hours from latest patch or 1 or more +1 from committers
> Major and blocker changes = 4 days from latest patch or 2 or more +1
> from committers
>
> This way if an issue has been active for some time but no one has taken
> a look at it, and it has passed all unit tests, then we can go ahead and
> commit it.  Also this should allow more of the smaller changes to be
> handled faster.
>
> So these of course are just some suggestions would love to hear from
> others in the community.  What I think would be best is to come to a
> consensus on this and then have a wiki page describing this and other
> processes for committers.

I agree with the overall plan - we need to speed up the process and
release the committers from worrying too much whether a patch is "ripe"
enough to commit it.

Though I think that in case of minor changes, the 24 hours period is too
short. By definition, since they are not trivial then it means they
could use a peer review. Sometimes it's difficult to get a patch
reviewed within 24 hours, and in the coding enthusiasm it's easy to be
too quick ... I'd say 48 hours if no review, or less if the patch is
reviewed and gets +1.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Commit Times for Issues

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
Dennis Kubes wrote:

> Marcin Okraszewski wrote:
>> I can say something from a contributor point of view. I've contributed
>> two rather trivial patches and ... I'm discouraged. Simply the process
>> was far too long. Actually I had to ask that someone takes a look for
>> it. Once someone invest his time to create patch, write a Jira entry,
>> etc., you rather expect it to be reviewed and possibly committed. If
>> there is at least one person who needs it that much that is willing to
>> develop it, it may mean there might be others who would need it as well.
>>

> Some of the committers have also discussed adding something like a
> "pending review" workflow to Nutch JIRA for just these cases.  Although
> was leaving that for another discussion. maybe now is the time to discuss.

This is an important and IMHO much needed change.

>> As looking for perfection, it must be balanced in my opinion. If there
>> is something trivial which is not done perfect, which does not break
>> architecture ... well, it might be acceptable. But if something would
>> make a spaghetti code, I wouldn't be so much for it. So my rule of
>> thumb would be - once it breaks well design, introduces too big
>> complexity, it shouldn't be accepted. If it doesn't influence those,
>> but does what it should, maybe in a bit clumsy way - why not. It still
>> solves someone's problem or need.
>>

> I agree.  Quality is still a necessity. Including bad code isn't
> progress IMHO.

I'm ok with occasional unintentional breakage of trunk. I also second
your feelings toward committing poorly thought-through code - but if we
allow more freedom in the trunk/ development we need to be prepared that
such situations will occur. We can view this as a part of the process,
but let's not hesitate to remove or revert commits that after closer
examination, even though they are committed, reveal their bad impact or
bad design, or lack of maintenance. A good example of this other side of
the process is the recent removal of GData server from Lucene contrib.

In other words, the process of accepting patches would look something
like this:

  * if a problem is confirmed,
  * and a patch exists,
  * and the patch solves the problem and passes the tests
(* and if it's peer-reviewed in case of more serious changes)
  * then we should commit it straight away.

This is, by the way, the workflow that Hadoop uses and in my opinion we
should use it too.

However, that's one side of the story - the other side is to watch out
for creeping featurism. In my opinion we should not commit changes that
are useful only for niche users, but may require significant changes to
Nutch. I would be ok with some rarely-used changes if they serve
specific scenarios that might be useful for other users - but if it's a
complex change that satisfies the neede only of one user then it
wouldn't be ok - so a certain balance in this experimentation is also
needed.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: Commit Times for Issues

Posted by Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>.

Marcin Okraszewski wrote:
> I can say something from a contributor point of view. I've contributed two rather trivial patches and ... I'm discouraged. Simply the process was far too long. Actually I had to ask that someone takes a look for it. Once someone invest his time to create patch, write a Jira entry, etc., you rather expect it to be reviewed and possibly committed. If there is at least one person who needs it that much that is willing to develop it, it may mean there might be others who would need it as well.

Some of the committers have also discussed adding something like a
"pending review" workflow to Nutch JIRA for just these cases.  Although
was leaving that for another discussion. maybe now is the time to discuss.

> Just to add. I've done some several contributions to some other projects, but this is first time I have a feeling like this.
>
> As looking for perfection, it must be balanced in my opinion. If there is something trivial which is not done perfect, which does not break architecture ... well, it might be acceptable. But if something would make a spaghetti code, I wouldn't be so much for it. So my rule of thumb would be - once it breaks well design, introduces too big complexity, it shouldn't be accepted. If it doesn't influence those, but does what it should, maybe in a bit clumsy way - why not. It still solves someone's problem or need.

I agree.  Quality is still a necessity. Including bad code isn't
progress IMHO.

Dennis

Re: Commit Times for Issues

Posted by Marcin Okraszewski <ok...@o2.pl>.