Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com> on 2001/08/20 11:18:11 UTC

Incorrect use of $(top_srcdir) in srclib/pcre?

I am fighting with the build procedure in srclib/pcre. It is an
"non-apache" module, yet its Makefile has a reference to $(top_srcdir)
which is apache-specific. srclib/pcre/Makefile uses:
> include $(top_srcdir)/build/ltlib.mk
to include ltlib stuff. But....

a) who should actually set the variable $(top_srcdir)? On my system, even
   a httpd-2.0 top-level "make clean" fails when visiting the pcre subdirectory.

b) if $(top_srcdir) _IS_ supplied, then who is to set $top_builddir too?
   As the included $(top_srcdir)/build/ltlib.mk has another include:
   > include $(top_builddir)/config_vars.mk

IMHO this "including stuff from the parent project" is still rather
unclean. The variables top_srcdir top_builddir srcdir builddir VPATH
should either be propagated everywhere they are used, or defined everywhere
they are used, or not be used.

Also it should be kept in mind that a local "make" started from the
srclib/pcre subdirectory should not fail. Currently, nothing sets
$top_srcdir and $top_builddir, so a local make can never work.

  Martin
--
<Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>    |       Fujitsu Siemens
       <ma...@apache.org>              |   81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: Incorrect use of $(top_srcdir) in srclib/pcre?

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>.
It appears that a "--no-recurse --no-create" has somehow sneaked into
my config.nice. No, it shouldn't get there.
Anyway, it seems to work now.

  Martin