Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Oliver Schoett <ol...@capgemini-sdm.com> on 2009/11/17 10:40:38 UTC

[users@httpd] SOLVED: 2.2.13 mod_proxy: backend connection reused long after ttl expired

Oliver Schoett wrote:
> Some more info:  the backend server sends a "TLSv1 Encrypted Alert"
> spontaneously when a connection is idle for approx. 17s.  The error in
> the log file (with a 502 error code sent to the client) occurs when
> this alert happens in response to another request being sent over the
> connection after approx. 17s idle time.  We even set ttl=5 now and
> still see these events.

The problem appeared on our backend server connections, but was caused
by a bad client: the client sent HTTP/1.1 requests, but could not
understand the chunked response that he received.  So he did not know
when a response was finished and kept waiting for the connection to
close.  This timed out after 10s, and then the worker process was
returned into the pool.  During the time that the client was waiting,
the server connection had already been idle, so that its idle time was
at least 10s longer than specified with the ttl parameter.

So any time that the worker waits for a client contributes toward the
idle time of its server connection.

Regards,

Oliver Schoett