Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/02 19:15:10 UTC

maven-bundle-plugin 2.4.0 roadmap

Hi folks,

Just a quick overview of the general roadmap for maven-bundle-plugin 2.4.0... basically I'd like to go through the codebase and try to tidy up all the accumulated patches and tweaks to reduce code duplication and make things more maintainable and understandable. Not the most exciting work, but I think it's a good time to do this - hopefully it will make it easier for people to contribute and extend this plugin. I'd also like to extend the test coverage to make sure this refactoring doesn't break anything.

If anyone happens to be interested in helping out, let me know ;)

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: maven-bundle-plugin 2.4.0 roadmap

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 2 Dec 2011, at 19:49, David Jencks wrote:

> It never seems to work to ask two questions in a single mail.... but maybe this will be an exception.
>
> 1.  At Karaf someone recently complained about m2e integration and pointed to http://wiki.eclipse.org/M2E_plugin_execution_not_covered which IIUC suggests that the maven-bundle-plugin could include some m2e specific metadata to help m2e figure out what it does.  The karaf discussion is here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-1048  Anyone know anything about this?

The m2e Tycho Project Configurators support the bundle lifecycle via the maven-bundle-plugin, including regenerating the manifest when classes or bnd instructions change and integration with the PDE launcher:

   https://repository.sonatype.org/content/repositories/forge-sites/m2eclipse-tycho/0.6.0/N/0.6.0.201110151902/
   ( update site, also available for installation via Eclipse->Preferences...->Maven->Discovery->Open Catalog )

   https://github.com/sonatype/m2eclipse-tycho/

PS. if you see the warning about missing lifecycle mappings when importing your project just use the "auto select" button (or quick fix on the pom) and it should search for available connectors on the online catalog.

> 2.  I'd still really like to see some progress on https://github.com/bndtools/bnd/issues/36  I realize this is not exactly part of the plugin but I'm still going to push here.  I've looked into the bnd code a bit but the last time I looked it looked like the code was halfway through a refactoring and I couldn't figure out where the necessary information could be accessed.

IMHO now is the right time to revisit this - there was a big push to get the various tools (bndtools, m-b-p, etc) onto the latest level of bnd, which meant a fair bit of churn in the codebase, but it should be stable now.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.