Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Zoltan Ivanfi <zi...@apache.org> on 2019/01/17 16:27:24 UTC

Adding more timestamp types to on-disk storage formats

Hi,

There is an ongoing effort amongst the SQL engines of the Hadoop stack
to support different timestamp semantics. This development has some
implications for the low-level timestamp types as well. The new
timestamp types added to the different SQL engines will rely on the
decisions of the lower level components about which timestamps
semantics they support and how.

I have created a document to summarize what this means for on-disk
storage formats in general and I am sending it out to multiple dev
mailing lists to let you know about this new requirement and to
initiate a discussion in affected open source components.

The document can be read here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E-7miCh4qK6Mg54b-Dh5VOyhGX8V4xdMXKIHJL36a9U/edit

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Zoltan

Re: Adding more timestamp types to on-disk storage formats

Posted by Zoltan Ivanfi <zi...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Adar,

Thanks for reviewing the document. I extended it to address your comment.

Naturally, you are free to choose whichever communication channel you
prefer. Personally, I think that if a comment, question or suggestion is
related to a specific section of the document, it may be better to add it
in Google Docs, since then it can be discussed in context. If it is more
general, then it may be a better candidate for the mailing lists (either
all or just one depending on which components it applies to).

Br,

Zoltan

Posted by Adar Lieber-Dembo <ad...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi Zoltan,