Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Randy Moore <ra...@atlantech.net> on 1998/03/11 17:58:32 UTC

config/1935: NCSA compatibility issue, ServerRoot in block

>Number:         1935
>Category:       config
>Synopsis:       NCSA compatibility issue, ServerRoot in <VirtualHost> block
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I'm moving from NCSA v 1.5.2a to Apache v 1.2.5 and have run into a compatibility
issue that I could not find on the Compatibility notes page (http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/compat_notes.html)

With NCSA, I could use the "ServerRoot" directive inside of a VirtualHost definition,
which allowed me use use blocks like the following:

<VirtualHost 111.222.333.444 Required >
ServerName      www.company1.com
DocumentRoot    /usr/local/etc/httpd/virtual/company1/docs
ServerRoot      /usr/local/etc/httpd/virtual/company1
ResourceConfig  conf/srm.conf
TransferLog     logs/access_log
ErrorLog        logs/error_log
</VirtualHost>

With Apache, using this block in the config file results in the main host and
every vhost using the ServerRoot listed in the last vhost definition.

The funtionality I need can be reproduced by changing the vhost definition to:
<VirtualHost 111.222.333.444 >
ServerName      www.company1.com
DocumentRoot    /usr/local/etc/httpd/virtual/company1/docs
ResourceConfig  /usr/local/etc/httpd/virtual/company1/conf/srm.conf
TransferLog     /usr/local/etc/httpd/virtual/company1/logs/access_log
ErrorLog        /usr/local/etc/httpd/virtual/company1/logs/error_log
</VirtualHost>

But, it took me several hours to figure out the problem and I'd like to save
that time for anyone else in the same situation.

Thanks to all the developers for a wonderful product.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Just add another entry to the NCSA compatibility notes