Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vinny <xa...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/11 19:28:02 UTC

Realms in 5.5x

Hello Everyone,
I am having a hard time getting a custom Realm to work in 5.5.12 (with
the 1.4.2 compat libs).
At first I tried using the same MyRealm.jar that works currently in
tomcat 5.0.30.  No authentication
semmed to be taking place so I tried using the source of
DataSourceRealm as my template
and compiled under the 5.5.12's catalina.jar and jmx.jar. Now when I
try starting tomcat I either
get an exception like this:
ERROR main org.apache.commons.digester.Digester -
Begin event threw error
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/realm/RealmBase

in which case Tomcat will not start .
In the 5.5  Realm How-To we are told to follow these steps to
make our own Realms:

    *  Implement org.apache.catalina.Realm,
    * Place your compiled realm in $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib,
    * Declare your realm as described in the "Configuring a Realm"
section below,
    * Declare your realm to the MBeans Descriptor.

Do we really need to implement Realm. MyRealm just extends RealmBase.'
Which is what the other 'standard' implementations do as well.
Just implementing Realm seems a little closer to the bones of the container.
And I note again that this method worked fine in 5.0.30.

What am I missing?