Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/15 04:48:17 UTC

Re: [J2] Prefs impl does not support adding properties in a transparent way.

Scott,

The reason, I introduced this restriction was to be
able to tie preferences to property sets and enforce
consistency in the properties of a user profile for
instance.

I am not sure we would want to find yourself in a
situation where user A has property 1, 2, 3 on their
profile and user B property 1, 2, 6 and no consistency
in the definition of the profile properties.

Now, there are other ways to enforce that kind of
consistency that to enforce it at the prefs layer.  If
this is causing an issue, I am +1 on making changes,
as long as we keep in mind the point mentioned above.

Regards,

David.

--- Scott T Weaver

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Scott,

It depends how you look at it. When I started with the
Prefs implementation, my goal was mostly to use it for
user attributes.  And I felt that it was useful for
user attributes to have some consistency (basically
PLT17).

The implementation of Prefs is being used way behond
that scope so it may be time to tweak it to address
everyone needs.

An easy way to do this is to completely decouple the
PropertyManager from the prefs API.  And as we move
into that direction we may realize that we don't
really need the PropertyManager...  I am fine with
that, that's what software does, it evolves...

Regarding storing everything as String, sure.

Have a good one.

David.

--- Scott T Weaver

=== message truncated ===

Re: [J2] Prefs impl does not support adding properties in a transparent way.

Posted by Scott T Weaver <sc...@binary-designs.net>.

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
Scott,

Posted by Scott T Weaver <sc...@binary-designs.net>.