Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Kanwar Manish <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/12 14:40:23 UTC

JDBC Performance Comparison.

Dear Users

I am new to Apache Cayenne. My question is related to the performance
overhead when using JDBC drivers to connect to various databases.

Question 1. Referring to various kinds of JDBC drivers @
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JDBC_driver#Advantages , what kind of
drivers are used by Cayenne to connect?

I want to understand what is the performance hit compared to native drivers?

Kind Regards
KM

Re: JDBC Performance Comparison.

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
Hi Manwar,

I've never benchmarked native vs JDBC drivers, but I have never
considered JDBC to be a bottleneck.  Even if the native drivers
happened to be marginally faster, the real bottleneck is going to be
the database and network I/O and latency.  Also, once the JDBC
libraries are JIT compiled, they should be quite fast.

As for what kinds of drivers are used by Cayenne, we do not ship JDBC
drivers with Cayenne.  Application developers choose the JDBC driver
they use based upon the database they are connecting to.

mrg

Posted by "Durchholz, Joachim" <Jo...@hennig-fahrzeugteile.de>.
Whatever you are using now, if it's written in Java, it's likely using JDBC anyway.
In that case, switching to Cayenne cannot introduce JDBC-related overhead.

In general, native drivers are not necessarily better than JDBC or ODBC drivers; it all depends on which of the driver line got most attention from the database vendor.

Regards,
Jo