Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Courtade <co...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/22 11:42:34 UTC

700k entries in overseer q cannot addreplica or deletereplica

Hi,

I have an issue with what seems to be a blocked up /overseer/queue

There are 700k + entries.

Solr cloud 6.x

You cannot addreplica or deletereplica the commands time out.

Full stop and start of solr and zookeeper does not clear it.

Is it safe to use the zookeeper supplied zkCli.sh to simple rmr the
/overseer/queue ?

Jeff Courtade
M: 240.507.6116

Re: 700k entries in overseer q cannot addreplica or deletereplica

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
This has been an occasional problem with clusters with lots of
replicas in aggregate. There was a major improvement in how large
Overseer queues are handled in SOLR-10619 which was released with Solr
6.6. that you might want to look at.

If you can't go to 6.6 (or apply the patch yourself to your version),
you can start up your nodes more gradually. Essentially the longer the
queue the more time it would take to process each entry so it starts
to spin out of control.

There are several other improvements, but that's the biggest I think.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Hendrik Haddorp <he...@gmx.net>.
It is a known problem:

Posted by Jeff Courtade <co...@gmail.com>.
righto,

Posted by Hendrik Haddorp <he...@gmx.net>.
- stop all solr nodes

Posted by Jeff Courtade <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hendrik Haddorp <he...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Jeff Courtade <co...@gmail.com>.
Thanks very much.

Posted by Hendrik Haddorp <he...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Jeff Courtade <co...@gmail.com>.
So ...

Posted by Hendrik Haddorp <he...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Jeff Courtade <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hendrik Haddorp <he...@gmx.net>.
Hi Jeff,

we ran into that a few times already. We have lots of collections and
when nodes get started too fast the overseer queue grows faster then
Solr can process it. At some point Solr tries to redo things like
leaders votes and adds new tasks to the list, which then gets longer and
longer. Once it is too long you can not read out the data anymore but
Solr is still adding tasks. In case you already reached that point you
have to start ZooKeeper and the ZooKeeper client with and increased
"jute.maxbuffer" value. I usually double it until I can read out the
queue again. After that I delete all entries in the queue and then start