Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/18 23:08:48 UTC

Vote: take wicketframework.org off of sf.net servers and onto our own box

It has been proposed in several threads, so I'd like to make it more formal:

currently we host wicketframework.org on the sf.net servers. We can
move the content of the site to our own box (provided by
http://servoy.com) and host it there, and redirect traffic from the
sf.net server to the our new box.

Pro's:
 - wicketframework.org will probably be a lot faster.
 - it opens up builds.wicketframework.org, examples.wicketframework.org etc.

Con's:
 - we'll have to update our (read: I have to update my) build
infrastructure for deploying the site
 - we'll be fully responsible for hosting our own site
 - the future is clouded for the domain as we are moving towards
apache infrastructure.

So the vote is:
 [ ] move the domain already, why didn't you do this months ago?
 [ ] keep it as it is, it works now

Martijn

--
Vote for Wicket at the http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/vote_for/wicket
Wicket 1.2.4 is as easy as 1-2-4. Download Wicket now!

Re: Vote: take wicketframework.org off of sf.net servers and onto our own box

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> can we get a zone if we are just incubating?

At this point, I personally would stick with either Sourceforge or Servoy.

The main issue being that zones aren't intended for use for public
websites, more for demos, tests, builds, etc, and you cannot map a
domain to a zone (AFAIK), you just get <project>.zones.apache.org.

Where we host examples (a very useful and important thing to host), I
don't think we're quite ready to resolve that issue yet. Therefore, I
would say go with Sourceforge or Servoy, whichever makes most
straightforward sense.

Similarly, eventually, the wicketframework.org domain name should be a
redirect to wicket.apache.org, and ownership of that domain be
transferred to Apache. However, I don't quite think we're ready for that
either. We really need to get a release or two under our belt before we
can approach those issue.

Regards, Upayavira

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
can we get a zone if we are just incubating?

-igor

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
yes i have the same questions as igor.

What do we move completely to Apache?

Is it so that when we have moved then only jira an confluence are still
there
for just Wicket-Stuff?

Everything else, so the auto building and auto deploying and serving of the
latest examples
are done then on the apache servers?

What things does apache give us? What rights do we have?

If we keep bamboo and the examples there then i think we should do this:

wicketframework.org -> wicket.apache.org
builds.wicketframework.org -> ourserver/bamboo
maven.wicketframework.org -> ourserver/maven/reposistory (or are we not
doing this, providing snapshots?)
examples.wicketframework.org  -> ourserver/examples -> pointing to 1.3/2.0
examples

So if this setup is the one we go for then we can move it now and only do
this

wicketframework.org -> ourserver/root
builds.wicketframework.org -> ourserver/bamboo
maven.wicketframework.org -> ourserver/maven/reposistory (or are we not
doing this, providing snapshots?)
examples.wicketframework.org  -> ourserver/examples -> pointing to 1.3/2.0
examples

then we need to do the above for a few months. (and server our own side)

If we don't use the server for anything except wicket stuf (jira/conf) then
i wouldn't bother doing anything right now.

johan

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Using Apache  hardware seems to be a big deal for a community feel and
for a legal standpoint (iianm), and /should/ make things easier. If we
get migraines from dealing with the apache process, then we should get
more involved in the infra team. Problem is that to be able to do
that, you need to earn karma, and IMO you won't get karma until you
help administer stuff.

I don't see the need to register another domain name yet. Isn't the
whole point of the server to have it host all our stuff? Just moving
wicketframework.org to the servoy box, and add the subdomains is not
too much I think? Even if it is for a couple of weeks/months. the
wicketframework.org domain can then point to wicket.apache.org, and
the sub domains to the apache build server, or our own if that is
needed.

Posted by Justin Lee <jl...@antwerkz.com>.

That name is almost guaranteed to result in confusion and questions on
the users list.

Igor Vaynberg wrote:
> we could register wicketstuff.org, host our website there until we are
> ready
> to move it to apache, we can even setup our confluence install there to
> export our website to apache so we dont have to go through headaches
>
> just dont think of wicketstuff.org as related directly to
> wicket-stuff.sf.net
>
> -igor
>

> On 1/18/07, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It has been proposed in several threads, so I'd like to make it more
>> formal:
>>
>> currently we host wicketframework.org on the sf.net servers. We can
>> move the content of the site to our own box (provided by
>> http://servoy.com) and host it there, and redirect traffic from the
>> sf.net server to the our new box.
>>
>> Pro's:
>> - wicketframework.org will probably be a lot faster.
>> - it opens up builds.wicketframework.org,
>> examples.wicketframework.orgetc.
>>
>> Con's:
>> - we'll have to update our (read: I have to update my) build
>> infrastructure for deploying the site
>> - we'll be fully responsible for hosting our own site
>> - the future is clouded for the domain as we are moving towards
>> apache infrastructure.
>>
>> So the vote is:
>> [ ] move the domain already, why didn't you do this months ago?
>> [ ] keep it as it is, it works now
>>
>> Martijn
>>
>> --
>> Vote for Wicket at the
>> http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/vote_for/wicket
>> Wicket 1.2.4 is as easy as 1-2-4. Download Wicket now!
>> http://wicketframework.org

- --
Justin Lee
http://www.antwerkz.com
AIM : evan chooly
Skype : evanchooly

Re: Vote: take wicketframework.org off of sf.net servers and onto our own box

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.