Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Waleed Fateem <wa...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/25 00:37:34 UTC

SASL and SSL

Hello!

I'm not very clear on the behavior that we should expect when we configure
Kafka to use the protocol SASL_SSL.

Is SASL or SSL mutually exclusive here or can I authenticate with SASL and
use SSL for encryption?

If the latter is true, then is it correct to assume that encryption will
take place using SSL if a client authenticates using a Kerberos ticket so
long as they have a trust store configured?

Thank you.

Waleed

Re: SASL and SSL

Posted by Waleed Fateem <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kaufman,

Thanks for the blog link. It definitely helped clear up a few things, but I
was struggling to understand the behavior I was seeing where clients were
still able to establish an SSL connection after SASL authentication even
when trust store config was not set at the client side and ssl.client.auth
was enabled.

I found KAFKA-3166 which explained why ssl.client.auth was ignored, but it
didn't explain why clients were still able to connect to the Kafka broker
over a SASL_SSL port without providing trust store config. I wrote a
detailed explanation about this in another mail I sent out ("Question with
regards to KAFKA-3166"). I would be curious to know your thoughts on it.

Regards,

Waleed Fateem

Re: SASL and SSL

Posted by Kaufman Ng <ka...@confluent.io>.