Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Simon Chow <si...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/20 07:34:13 UTC

[jdk-tool][gc] Is there Heap monitoring and profiling tools in Harmony

I found jprofiler can not work with Harmony now.
Is there anything like jmap or HPROF? monitoring heap structure such as LOS,
MOS, NOS etc.
I think it is not only important to tunning application but also to
facilitate the process of GC debugging for developer, isn't it?

Thanks

Re: [jdk-tool][gc] Is there Heap monitoring and profiling tools in Harmony

Posted by Aleksey Shipilev <al...@gmail.com>.
Right. I had a pleasant experience with TPTP not so long ago and it
worked with Harmony. Even though I've managed to run Harmony+TPTP only
in interpreter mode, the information I've gathered was really
valuable.

And so:
 1. (Xiao Feng's idea) -Xverbose:gc may give you an idea what's going
on with Java heap in general
 2. TPTP/HeapProfiler may give you pretty good insight down to exact
allocation sites, liveness info, rate of allocations and stuff
 3. Jitrino Internal profiler [1] may give you hints about allocations
too, and AFAIK you may run it even with aggressive optimizations

Thanks,
Aleksey.

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/drlvm/internal_profiler.html

Posted by Eugene Ostrovsky <eu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xiao-Feng Li <xi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Simon Chow <si...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found jprofiler can not work with Harmony now.
>  Is there anything like jmap or HPROF? monitoring heap structure such as LOS,
>  MOS, NOS etc.
>  I think it is not only important to tunning application but also to
>  facilitate the process of GC debugging for developer, isn't it?

Yes, that's why there is a GSoC project proposal for memory management
visualization.

What Alexey and Eugene pointed out are also useful for certain purpose.

Besides other tools, you can use -verbose:gc to get some information.

Thanks,
xiaofeng

http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com