Posted to jcs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jordan Digby <ja...@viator.com> on 2003/08/18 02:47:50 UTC

Lateral JMS cache

Have developed a new auxiliary cache, similar to the Lateral cache (and
modelled on the Javagroups lateral), which uses JMS rather than TCP/IP
sockets to co-ordinate the caches.  It's also similar to the Remote
cache, in that 'puts' are not synch'd between lateral caches, rather a
'remove' or a 'put' invalidates the entries in all the caches, forcing a
reload of that entry.

It's all tested and seems to work fine, and I'm more than happy to
submit it for review, and write some doco and unit tests etc.

However one question I have is to do with the 'dispose' and 'destroy'
methods.

When it's time to shut down the caches, I (as a developer) would like
the LateralJMS cache to cleanly shut down all the JMS connections.  I
figure the 'dispose' method is the right place to do this.

However, tracing back, this is called by the 'CompositeCache' dispose
method.  But I can't see where *this* can be called from.  As a user, I
can call a methoid 'destroy' but a) this is deprecated, and b) it simply
removes all the entries from the cache.  The 'dispose' method in
CacheAccess is protected.

Can you tell me how I can advise the cache that it's time to dispose itself?

regards

Jordan Digby

jordan digby [jadigby@viator.com]
chief technology officer
Viator Inc. [ www.viator.com ]
san francisco |  sydney  |  london

content, technology & distribution for the travel industry
tel: +61 2 8219 5481 (direct)
fax: +61 2 8219 5499
mob: +61 414 955 051

--