Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Juha Alatalo <ju...@syncrontech.com> on 2007/10/15 09:49:35 UTC

VisitChildren + IComponentResolver broken in beta 4?

Hi,

If the components are added on the page using ComponentResolver,
visitChildren() method seems to be working incorrectly.  Created
following example which works in beta 3 but not in beta 4.

http://download.syncrontech.com/public/VisitChildrenExample.zip

- Juha

Re: VisitChildren + IComponentResolver broken in beta 4?

Posted by Ari Suutari <ar...@syncrontech.com>.
Hi,

The original idea in using IComponentResolver in our stuff was that
html designer can just put something in and our own framework (built
on wicket) automagically adds some default components to those
tags, which gives a working 'default application' very easily (we have
lots of simple pages which are used to maintain some kind of basic
parameter data in large systems).

Elsewhere, we have a component (let's say X) which is visible based on what other stuff
(let's say Y) is present on page. How, if our application programmer adds something
that implements Y on page, X automatically appars. This is done by visitChilden call.

Now, if Y is autoAdded, this system broke, since visitChildern no longer found it.

I think there are also some other use cases, which are a little bit different. Actually,
the problem is not the IComponentResolver stuff, I think that we have just been
using visitChilden too much to inspect things. I realize that there are alternatives to
these designs, we might try to change this in the future.

Also, I think that if you remove the autoAdded stuff at end of request instead
of removing it immediately after component's render things are more robust,
since once the component is added, it is there during the whole request.
If someone writes an application which trys to find a component before
it is added, thats a problem in that application. In our case, there is no
problem like this (unless someone starts rendering components in reverse
order or something like that).

   Ari S.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
the fix is in.

Posted by Juha Alatalo <ju...@syncrontech.com>.

Posted by Ari Suutari <ar...@syncrontech.com>.
Hi,

> Well, I believe we can keep the component instance until the end of
> request and then clean it up in detach, would this help you? (it still
> wouldn't be the same as before the fix, as the instance was (supposed
> to be) cleaned during the next request, but this means keeping
> additional state for no good reason.

    I think for our case this could be perfect solution. We don't need
    the state after the render, the application is dependend on it
    only during it.

     Thanks,

        Ari S.

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ari Suutari <ar...@syncrontech.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I'm afraid you dont' really get what IComponentResolver is for. The
purpose is to allow creating components from markup for a very short
span of time - basically while the components are rendered and they
should be removed immediate afterwards. So if you call visitChildren
from another component, the resolved component will not be available.

What changed in beta 4 is that we now remove the component immediately
after it's rendered (inside the autoAdd call) because otherwise It
caused us a nasty memory leak.

Also from what I can guess you are doing your solution is really
fragile, as you create a component during another component's
rendering and then want to interact with that component form other
place - but this depends on order in which are components rendered -
doesn't seem like a solid solution.

One thing necessary to realize is that in current status Wicket only
knows the markup that belongs to each component during the render
phase, which is wrong place to create components (except for
components with extremely short lifespan added and rendered through
auto add. but this is internal stuff even though it's not properly
marked as such).

Posted by Matej Knopp <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Juha Alatalo <ju...@syncrontech.com>.

Posted by Juha Alatalo <ju...@syncrontech.com>.