Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/17 16:47:40 UTC

[VOTE] 1.0.0 RC2

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the third candidate for release of Apache Kafka 1.0.0. The main PRs
that gets merged in after RC1 are the following:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/dc6bfa553e73ffccd1e604963e076c78d8ddcd69

It's worth noting that starting in this version we are using a different
version protocol with three digits: *major.minor.bug-fix*

Any and all testing is welcome, but the following areas are worth
highlighting:

1. Client developers should verify that their clients can produce/consume
to/from 1.0.0 brokers (ideally with compressed and uncompressed data).
2. Performance and stress testing. Heroku and LinkedIn have helped with
this in the past (and issues have been found and fixed).
3. End users can verify that their apps work correctly with the new release.

This is a major version release of Apache Kafka. It includes 29 new KIPs.
See the release notes and release plan
(*https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71764913
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=71764913>*)
for more details. A few feature highlights:

* Java 9 support with significantly faster TLS and CRC32C implementations
* JBOD improvements: disk failure only disables failed disk but not the
broker (KIP-112/KIP-113)
* Controller improvements: async ZK access for faster administrative
request handling
* Newly added metrics across all the modules (KIP-164, KIP-168, KIP-187,
KIP-188, KIP-196)
* Kafka Streams API improvements (KIP-120 / 130 / 138 / 150 / 160 / 161),
and drop compatibility "Evolving" annotations

Release notes for the 1.0.0 release:
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html>*

*** Please download, test and vote by Friday, October 20, 8pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc2/
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc2/>*

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
*http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc2/javadoc/
<http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc2/javadoc/>*

* Tag to be voted upon (off 1.0 branch) is the 1.0.0-rc2 tag:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=kafka.git;a=tag;h=51d5f12e190a38547839c7d2710c97faaeaca586

* Documentation:
Note the documentation can't be pushed live due to changes that will not go
live until the release. You can manually verify by downloading
http://home.apache.org/~guozhang/kafka-1.0.0-rc2/kafka_2.11-1.0.0-site-docs.tgz

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 1.0.0 branch:
Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-1.0-jdk7/40/
System test: https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka-1.0/6/

/**************************************

Thanks,
-- Guozhang

Re: [kafka-clients] [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC2

Posted by Dana Powers <da...@gmail.com>.
1.0.0-RC2 passed all kafka-python integration tests. Excited for this
release -- great work everyone!

-Dana

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.
just a minor observation: Kafka binary contains two versions of javasist
library (javassist-3.20.0-GA.jar, javassist-3.21.0-GA.jar).
This dependency is coming from connect project.

Posted by Manikumar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Hi, Guozhang,

Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC2

Posted by Thomas Crayford <tc...@salesforce.com>.
We (Heroku) have run our usual set of perf tests against 1.0 RC2 and found
no notable issues so far. Once RC3 is out we will test that too.

Thanks

Tom Crayford
Heroku Kafka

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.