Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Abhishek Dasgupta <ab...@gmail.com> on 2020/08/11 17:09:20 UTC

Apache Calicte learning curve

Hi Team,
I am working as a Software Developer in data migration sector. We use the
Apache-Calcite framework. I am trying to learn how to use it and apparently
it has a steep learning curve. I went through the documentation but as a
beginner it is difficult to grasp. Can you provide me some useful links
where to start learning Apache Calcite apart from the documentation. Can
you provide a chronological order  what to understand first i.e a step by
step list.

Thanks,
Abhishek Dasgupta

Re: Apache Calicte learning curve

Posted by Roman Kondakov <ko...@mail.ru.INVALID>.
Hi Abhishek,

IMO the first thing you need to do is to read the whitepaper [1] to
understand the big picture.

Then you can read the Calcite presentation [2] where all main API's are
very well described.

And the last step, which is my main source of knowledge about Calcite,
is to explore the source code of systems that already use Calcite for
query processing. I would recommend Apache Ignite [3], Apache Drill [4],
Hazelcast [5] and many others that you can find here [6].

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.10233.pdf
[2]
https://www.slideshare.net/JordanHalterman/introduction-to-apache-calcite
[3] https://github.com/apache/ignite