Posted to builds@apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2009/10/05 09:23:44 UTC

Hudson on Windows

Hi,

there now seems to be a Windows box up and running
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-1758). I would be
interested in having a Hudson slave on this machine to run some builds
on Windows. I've checked with Brett who requested the box and he would
be okay with having a Hudson slave running on the server. I would be
happy to put in the effort to set up and maintain it.

So, Hudson admins and users, would you be okay with having this set
up? Are there additional interest in running builds on Windows?

/niklas

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> Ok, Windows 2008 VM for Hudson is complete.

Thanks a bunch Gav!

> I have created accts for Tim Ellison and Niklas Gustavsson on the machine.
> I don't think anyone else has volunteered to admin the VM at this stage but
> correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that's it for now. Of course, more volunteers are most welcome
so let us know.

> I actually set up a Hudson instance on it too before realising that the
> machine is actually to be a slave, so feel free to kill the Hudson instance
> (just undeploy the WAR from tomcat should be enough, then stop tomcat
> service if its no longer needed.)

Right, we will probably remove it.

> Tim, Niklas, I'll send your login info shortly, note that currently only
> Remote Desktop is enabled for logging in, if SSH is needed then cygwin+ssh
> should be installed, so let me know if I'm needed to do that.

Should be enough with RDP. Hudson uses the Windows remotining protocol
if I'm not mistaken, so SSH should not be needed.

/niklas

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
On 17/Dec/2009 11:40, Gavin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Ok, Windows 2008 VM for Hudson is complete.
>
> I have created accts for Tim Ellison and Niklas Gustavsson on the machine.
> I don't think anyone else has volunteered to admin the VM at this stage but
> correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I actually set up a Hudson instance on it too before realising that the
> machine is actually to be a slave, so feel free to kill the Hudson instance
> (just undeploy the WAR from tomcat should be enough, then stop tomcat
> service if its no longer needed.)
>
> Tim, Niklas, I'll send your login info shortly, note that currently only
> Remote Desktop is enabled for logging in, if SSH is needed then cygwin+ssh
> should be installed, so let me know if I'm needed to do that.

Thanks Gavin.

I'll continue to set up the machine, and will put on some more Java
runtimes, etc.

Can you install the C/C++ development tools please (Visual Studio 2008)?
 While I have an MSDN account I don't think it covers general ASF usage.

Regards,
Tim

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Bhuvaneswaran A
<bh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish we set it as a slave thus we can tie it to jobs from current
> master, hudson.zones.apache.org.

That's the plan :-)

/niklas

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Bhuvaneswaran A <bh...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM, Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Ok, Windows 2008 VM for Hudson is complete.

Great!

> I actually set up a Hudson instance on it too before realising that the
> machine is actually to be a slave, so feel free to kill the Hudson instance
> (just undeploy the WAR from tomcat should be enough, then stop tomcat
> service if its no longer needed.)

I wish we set it as a slave thus we can tie it to jobs from current
master, hudson.zones.apache.org.

Bhuvaneswaran A
www.livecipher.com
GPG: 0x7A13E5B0

RE: Hudson on Windows

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au> wrote:
> Niklas, you have volunteered to set up and maintain the Windows Hudson VM, I
> would rather like to see another one or two offer to help maintain it also,
> there is nothing worse for infra than a badly maintained and out of date
> system and poorly managed VM. Not a reflection on you as I'm sure you will
> do a wonderful job, but I don't want to put extra pressure on infra to help
> keep this VM operational due to lack of enough oversight of the VM. You must
> realise that the Windows VMs we are about to unleash at ASF will be Very
> popular over the coming weeks and months.
>
> So if more volunteers show up to help Niklas, I'll create the VM and get
> Windows on it ready to rock and roll.

I share your opinion on having multiple admins for this host
(especially given the preference for a separate box). So, let's see if
there are additional volunteers.

/niklas

RE: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Gavin <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

The original intent for the Windows VM that Brett requested was for
continuum + anyone that wanted to share it. I'm not sure that he meant share
it with another CI tool (but I could be mistaken.)

I would have thought Hudson would be better on its own.

I was going to suggest to Nigel that if he wants to run Hudson on Windows
then I can provide the license for it and he have it installed on a Yahoo
machine, that would be much easier for Nigel I would have thought. This puts
extra time and pressure on Nigel though and I don't think he has time to
maintain yet another machine. (But let me know please Nigel if you think
that is something that can be arranged for the future)

However ...

> I'm assuming Brett wants it for a Continuum slave. I agree that I can
> foresee some potential issues with running two different slaves on the
> same server. However, I think that for now the benefits of having a
> single server to maintain overweight the potential problems. If we run
> into real problems (my biggest worries are around resource
> competition) it would be easy enough to separate the slaves at that
> time.

VMs are cheap, I would rather Hudson be on another VM away from Continuum -
albeit on the same host for now.

Niklas, you have volunteered to set up and maintain the Windows Hudson VM, I
would rather like to see another one or two offer to help maintain it also,
there is nothing worse for infra than a badly maintained and out of date
system and poorly managed VM. Not a reflection on you as I'm sure you will
do a wonderful job, but I don't want to put extra pressure on infra to help
keep this VM operational due to lack of enough oversight of the VM. You must
realise that the Windows VMs we are about to unleash at ASF will be Very
popular over the coming weeks and months.

So if more volunteers show up to help Niklas, I'll create the VM and get
Windows on it ready to rock and roll.

This will mean projects will have 3 choices for Windows CI builds,
Continuum, Hudson and Buildbot.

Let me know if any of that doesn't make sense.

Gav...

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Nigel Daley <ni...@apache.org>.
If someone wants to supply a Windows Hudson slave and administer it,
I'm fine with hooking it into the Hudson master (other Hudson admins
can voice their opinion).  Sounds like this is to be a buildbot slave
-- not sure it's a good idea for a build slave to have 2 masters.

Nige
Hudson Admin

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Hudson on Windows

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> wrote:
> ...Are there additional interest in running builds on Windows?...

Sling would probably be interested.

-Bertrand